Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody know about BCM's

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know about BCM's

anybody know about the BCM in the 98 camaro's? I am being told that I may have a problem with it due to my car not starting with the key and the fuel and oil gauge maxing out when I jump the starter relay to start the car... I need as much info as possible, I am not good with computers or wiring....

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil pressure and fuel gauge feeds don't pass through the bcm.

The bcm manages the power locks, the alarm functions, the vats signal to the pcm, the daytime running lights, retained accessory power, theater dimming of the interior lights, and the speed signal for speed controlled volume on the Camaro radio.

Any mods done right before the problem started? If so, it's probably related to that.

Sounds like bad ground, bad battery, or bad starter.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by John_D.
The oil pressure and fuel gauge feeds don't pass through the bcm.

The bcm manages the power locks, the alarm functions, the vats signal to the pcm, the daytime running lights, retained accessory power, theater dimming of the interior lights, and the speed signal for speed controlled volume on the Camaro radio.

Any mods done right before the problem started? If so, it's probably related to that.

Sounds like bad ground, bad battery, or bad starter.
no mods at all, I can pull the starter relay, run a wire from teh 30 prong to the power lead and the car will start right up, so that elimantes teh battery and starter. If I try to turn it on with the key it doesn't turn over, but all the acc.'s come on, and no security light. I dont get it at all, it jsut happened all of a sudden
Old 11-27-2006, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Some people have had problems with the VATS system without the security light coming on. Have you tried jumping the VATS wires with a resistor that matches the value in your key, then starting it? Maybe not the answer but a quick easy thing to do in order to eliminate that as a possibility. Some guys have cleaned up their key/resistor chip in the key and got going again.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, try an abrasive (not gummy) pencil eraser to lightly "polish" the contacts on the key, and see if that solves it.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Did you check the starter fuse or starter relay to ensure it is still functioning properly?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Did you try the resistor though? It's an easy way to tell if the problem is linked to the VATS system.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kapedogg
Did you try the resistor though? It's an easy way to tell if the problem is linked to the VATS system.
What about the resistor? I droppped the car off with GM yesterday, and still havent recieved a call. It wasn't the relay or the fuse... it has to be something with the wiring... hopefully it dont take to long to fix it, 92/hr labor rate sucks but I know the car is in good hands!

I have tried everythign I could possibly think of, even pulled the dash out to check all the wiring, but I dont have a tester... nothing was loose from what I found.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:13 PM
12 Second Club

There are two wires(I think they are white and white/black) wrapped in an orange sheath underneath the steering column. These two wires send the signals back and forth between the BCM and the resistance in the chip of your key. If you measure the resistance of the chip in your key, you can bypass the VATS system to see if that's the problem by buying a resistor that matches the value of your key. Cutting these two wires and using the resistor to connect them will tell you if the chip in your key isn't getting read properly or something along those lines. If that doesn't make sense shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell #
Attached Thumbnails Anybody know about BCM's-vats-wires-3-.jpg  
Old 11-29-2006, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kapedogg
There are two wires(I think they are white and white/black) wrapped in an orange sheath underneath the steering column. These two wires send the signals back and forth between the BCM and the resistance in the chip of your key. If you measure the resistance of the chip in your key, you can bypass the VATS system to see if that's the problem by buying a resistor that matches the value of your key. Cutting these two wires and using the resistor to connect them will tell you if the chip in your key isn't getting read properly or something along those lines. If that doesn't make sense shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell #

Good info, wish I would have tried that before driving it to GM... oh well, good info to save though

Thanks for everyones help, I will post updates as they come in
Old 12-05-2006, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

GM is saying the BCM needs to be replaced adn tha tis the only problem... hopefull yI am not getting screwed
Old 12-05-2006, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

I ended up having to do that as well, after a faulty alarm install fried a circuit. I got mine off gm-parts direct for about $150 and did the replacement myself. Dealer was going to charge me a fortune to do it. You can also get a used one but there is about a 1 in 12 chance your key will match it. If you buy a used one you can wire a resistor like I mentioned above that meet the appropriate resistor ranges to bypass that, but from my experience it's way easier to get a new BCM and install it. It's a pretty easy install once you get things out of the way.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Wel they are charging my $521 for everythign.. the testing alone cost $200 so it nots all that bad... jsut dont see hwo my gauges tie into this or the anti-theft for that fact... I could start the car and drive it no problem... I thought the anti-theft would shut the car down if you did this
Old 12-05-2006, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

That's a nice chunk of change they're taking from you. I swear I want to go get a muscle car from the 60's and quit worrying about sensors and computers. I know the BCM controls the anti-theft system, but I don't know about the gauges. I wish I could be more helpful. If you are able to get the car home, putting a new BCM in is pretty easy and it sounds like it would save you about a $150.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I know how to put it in.. the only problem I had was getting the connectors out....
Old 12-05-2006, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Yep, those things are a PITA.