Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Density-> Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Speed Density-> Yes or no?

I wasn't sure which of the sub forums was best for this post...I'm trying here.

I am putting an '04 Corvette LS1 into my '56 Chevy. I purchased a 0 mile engine on a pallat. It did not come with a MAF.

It has been suggested to me to not get one, and run speed density. But in a very short email conversation (which I may pick back up with him) John at Speartech said "I don't support speed density" (I have been planning on having him program my PM). I haven't had any other conversations with him on it.

So, I thought I'd ask here. Is it a good idea? Bad?

I plan to just drive the car to rod runs, and cruise around. I want it to be streetable/drivable, and don't plan to race it. I of course love having HP, but my interest now is drivability, gas mileage, and no hassles.

What are your thoughts?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with a good SD tune you wont notice much if any different then a maf tune, but SD tunes are near impossible to do perfectly by mail.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
with a good SD tune you wont notice much if any different then a maf tune, but SD tunes are near impossible to do perfectly by mail.
which is probably why the tuner did not support the idea. no mail order sd tune=no money to him
Old 12-15-2006, 11:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

na, the problem is theres no real way to get an accurate SD tune done via mail tune...I sure wouldnt want to send someone out a tune that is almost destined to be a bad one just to have them complain about it. MAF tunes are pretty simple & straitfoward In most cases since the maf can do alot of the work for you. Speartech would still make money on the harness one way or the other, but the tuning would just be impossible to nail down especially on the first try.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can pick up a MAF for $100 usually if you look around eBay or the for sale forums. Is it worth the effort to search for someone to tune it in SD? If so, definitely make sure they do a closed-loop SD tune. That way, the car would be able to adjust for different driving and atmospheric conditions to some extent.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
You can pick up a MAF for $100 usually if you look around eBay or the for sale forums. Is it worth the effort to search for someone to tune it in SD? If so, definitely make sure they do a closed-loop SD tune. That way, the car would be able to adjust for different driving and atmospheric conditions to some extent.
+1, I do not have a preference for SD or MAF tunes, some here do. Both will accomplish your goals, just with a radical cam or serious boost is where the MAF would not be viable anymore. For a stock engine up to a mild heads/cam setup, I always do a MAF tune. Unless of course the customer request a purely SD or Open Loop tune.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, buys. Sounds like I just need to plan on springing for the MAF.