PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How many LT1 owners would like HP TUNERS to make this software available.
HP TUNERS for the 96-97 LT1 cars with OBD II
28.41%
HP TUNERS for the 93-95 LT1 cars with OBD I
15.50%
HP TUNERS for all the LT1 cars 93-97 with OBD I and OBD II
51.29%
LOTS of interest, but need to know a ballpark on price.
4.80%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

HP Tuners for the LT1 POLL :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HP Tuners for the LT1 POLL :)

Well based on the suggestion of a HP Tuners member I'm going to create a poll to see how much interest there could potentially be in having HP TUNERS for the LT1 cars. Preferrably for the 96-97 LT1's with OBD II.

LT1 guys speak up, HP TUNERS will probably be watching.......

Last edited by 96silverram; 12-16-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would really love HP tuners software for my 1997 OBDII
Old 12-16-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I think you should remove the 1993 LT1, as it has a chip that requires removal and burning to tune. It is like the old TPI computers, it is not a flash chip like 1994 and newer OBD computers. That would require different hardware/software to tune. HPTuners would be able to incorporate '96-'97 LT1s, since they share an OBD-II port. But I believe the early LT1 has a different diagnostic connector (OBD-I) which would require a different cable. It could cause licensing issues. Good luck either way, and I would advise you spread the word to other F-Body forums of this poll if you want more of a response.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:48 PM
The know it all's know it all

non-sponsor link removed has TC software for the 94/95 and 96/97 lt1 car it has unlimited vehicles and IMO is much better easier to use software that was not written on that godaweful .net framework. Been using it for about 8 years now good stuff.

Last edited by txhorns281; 12-17-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes but you have to buy his roadrunner real time emulator package for $800 which doesnt even work for LT1's just to be able to purchase tunercat through him.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by foff667
yes but you have to buy his roadrunner real time emulator package for $800 which doesnt even work for LT1's just to be able to purchase tunercat through him.
Jet sell this software with 4 vehicle lisences for $499 and its good software and it works. I doubt HP tuners will dive into this market since it would require rewriting there bootloader code and getting acess to info they may not have.

I will however plead the LS1 tech case to TC and see if i can make any headway.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Jets dynamic spectrum tuner is just a rebadged tunercat & still DOES NOT come with a scanner lol and trust me I used tunercat & sold it for good reason, JUNK.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd be in for some HP Tuner LT1 stuff for the 96-97 cars.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

voted 96-97...know a few people with them and would love to be able to tune 'em
Old 12-18-2006, 08:39 AM

Jets dynamic spectrum tuner is just a rebadged tunercat & still DOES NOT come with a scanner lol and trust me I used tunercat & sold it for good reason, JUNK.

Junk eh ??? I can tell you about the reflash errors due to HP tuners not using the correct style of boot loader and the errors i have seen. Scanner is nothing. A company called monodax makes a scan tool that works with the TC /Jet interface and its a nice utility and cheap $69. Its way cheaper then HP tuners for 4 vehicles and the scan tool. Also to boot HP tuners IMO new kids on the block they use that stupid .net framework. TC is written in VB6 and can be executed on any win98 and up machine. Also it work better on older slower machines. Also TC software inteface wise can't be beat and the tools for adjusting parameters are far superior then those stupid boxs. Right clicking get all the crap HP tuners stick in your tool bar right in front of you. I have HP and TC software and I prefer the TC software. Also TC has been around alot longer.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Care to back up any of your Claims rather then just ***** nilly spitting out misinformation

1. Last I checked on Jets site(this morning) their Dynamic spectrum tuner was $499 & you'd need to buy the scanner program separatly for that extra $69 and thats the standard version of the software I think the "Pro" version is supposed to be nearly double that. FWIW hptuners comes with enough credits to tune up to 4 vehicles for $499 & the scanner software comes FREE.
2. HPTuners minimum requirements are 400mhz & win 98 SE which can be had for less then $100 in many cases.
3. HPTuners has been out for over 3 years now if im not mistaken whereas Tunercat OBD2 has been out for ~2 years and the rights of it bought by jet ~6 months ago who now pcm lock EVERYTHING and at $150 for each additional pcm compared to $99 for an hptuners license with the option to year/model lock.
4. I've personally NEVER had a reflash problem with hptuners so im not sure of the issues you've had...I will say I did do a read/write on an 01 LS1 with tunercat & it took 2x as long to do both then HPTuners.

The drop down windows in tunercat never really appealed to me, looking at 30-50 different tables trying to figure out what one I needed at the time was a PITA there is no "Favorites" option like there is in HPTuners which can make tuning a snap.

There is NO help file other then one that tells you how to open/save files but doesnt explain what any table/parameter does whereas HPTuners have this to help new users understand things a bit better.

Apparently the last time you used HPTuners was roughly 2 years ago when 1.x was in use...we are now on v2.1 which allows 3 different types of views one of them similar to tunercat with the drop down boxes, one navigator tree style & the tab style. Some of functionality you can see here http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTun...eedDensity.swf in one of the demo's I took the time to make up.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

So is hptuners for obd 1 Lt1 cars out of the question? Because i would really be into that
Old 12-18-2006, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

another vote for 96-97 cars. my first plan for this year was gonna be buying LT1 Edit, but if theres an HP Tuners version, ide be willing to spend a couple extra hundred.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

Wow, this sparked off some pretty good interest. I forgot about the thread over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see 12 replies. Guys/gals, keep asking questions and giving input on what you would like to see. HP Tuners; are you watching , include the LT1 crowd in this fantastic product ! 12secSS, your right on 93 cars not needing a HP Tuners (my bad, I completely forgot the 93's have a chip). I will try to edit the POLL and remove the 93 LT1 cars.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Definately interested in this for my wife's 95 Z28
Old 12-18-2006, 11:33 PM

Lets stop the Bullshit right now.

1. Hp tuner requires the .net 2.0 enviroment to run. this does not work well on machines below 1.0 ghz. In fact here is the link to the .net framework from mircosoft. Bare system requirements are vastly different from recomended minimum. My win xp 400mhz laptop basically freezes when using HP tuners.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/cli...uirements.mspx

2&3. you liscensing Info is sort of half correct. I have had Tc software for about 3yrs now and secondly TC had GM software for lt1 cars before HP tunners was a wet dream.Jet includes 4 vehicles lisences. I can't comment on directly what Jet has done with TC software Since i do not use the Jet version. Hp tunners new credit system requires different amounts of credits for differing vehicles now. some might be 2 and some might be 4. Large differnce in prices on those credits.

4. to adress this one. I have seen so many mistrious problems with everybodys software its not funny, usually a reflash with a tech 2 or similar factory scan tool or SPS programming system reaplly tune vehicle is fixed. May not be directly related to the flash algorythm but i consistenly see vehicles that have been tunned with HP tunners and LS1 edit with flash overwriting errors.Could be low battery voltage issues non compaitalbe OS and calibration segemtns errors. Who know. I have HP tunner and have had 2 c6 corvettes have flash corruption issues. Reflahs to stock with SPS reapply tune and no problem.

to adress the help file issue. Hp tunners has alot of tables mislabled and if you had acess to factory definition files you would know this. Honestly i am not a big fan of the avg Joe tweaking his PCM. no offense to the guys here but a good 80% of the time they do more harm then good. you don;t just wake up one day buy some software and imediately understand calibration work. I have been at it for a long time and started by doing my own vehicles first but i also have a very electronics heavy background and alot of emissions and driveability experience. Not everybody can tune there own car.

I still have and do use HP tunners for CAN vehicles for wich TC does not offer software. Thats not to say that in the future they wont but as of right now HP tunners and EFI and LS1 edit are the only options.

As for rhw HP interfac style its the way the editor is setup and to be honest since it came out i though it was clumsy. Have you presonally used TC software ?? i can do a whole fresh Eprom SD cal with an emulator on the dyno in under 4 hrs including all start and idle trims unless the vehicle has a rediculous camshaft. the inteface was designed by somebody who obviously understood what type of navigation was needed by people working for a living. It is so easy to modify parameters. Whats a real sham eis the TC gui has been stolen by everybody else and its s shae they do not get recognition for being one of the first aftermarket tunning software companys out there.

check it out TC has been around for at least 10yrs back i can remember using his software. thats saying something becuase i remember using DOS GMECM edit way back in the day when you actually had to reverse engineer alot of this stuff yourself.

Werd !

Care to back up any of your Claims rather then just ***** nilly spitting out misinformation

1. Last I checked on Jets site(this morning) their Dynamic spectrum tuner was $499 & you'd need to buy the scanner program separatly for that extra $69 and thats the standard version of the software I think the "Pro" version is supposed to be nearly double that. FWIW hptuners comes with enough credits to tune up to 4 vehicles for $499 & the scanner software comes FREE.
2. HPTuners minimum requirements are 400mhz & win 98 SE which can be had for less then $100 in many cases.
3. HPTuners has been out for over 3 years now if im not mistaken whereas Tunercat OBD2 has been out for ~2 years and the rights of it bought by jet ~6 months ago who now pcm lock EVERYTHING and at $150 for each additional pcm compared to $99 for an hptuners license with the option to year/model lock.
4. I've personally NEVER had a reflash problem with hptuners so im not sure of the issues you've had...I will say I did do a read/write on an 01 LS1 with tunercat & it took 2x as long to do both then HPTuners.

The drop down windows in tunercat never really appealed to me, looking at 30-50 different tables trying to figure out what one I needed at the time was a PITA there is no "Favorites" option like there is in HPTuners which can make tuning a snap.

There is NO help file other then one that tells you how to open/save files but doesnt explain what any table/parameter does whereas HPTuners have this to help new users understand things a bit better.

Apparently the last time you used HPTuners was roughly 2 years ago when 1.x was in use...we are now on v2.1 which allows 3 different types of views one of them similar to tunercat with the drop down boxes, one navigator tree style & the tab style. Some of functionality you can see here http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTun...eedDensity.swf in one of the demo's I took the time to make up.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Banned

I want HPtuners for all years baby!! I really want something a lot more inclusive than Tunercat!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sean Collins
Lets stop the Bullshit right now.

1. Hp tuner requires the .net 2.0 enviroment to run. this does not work well on machines below 1.0 ghz. In fact here is the link to the .net framework from mircosoft. Bare system requirements are vastly different from recomended minimum. My win xp 400mhz laptop basically freezes when using HP tuners.
FYI-
HPTuners (current version) is written in Net 1.1, and does not require 2.0
Old 12-19-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Steel Chicken
FYI-
HPTuners (current version) is written in Net 1.1, and does not require 2.0

On win98 system the 3 pc's i have they all required to use 2.0 to work properly. Maybe your win98 has a different support package.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by SVTHuh
I want HPtuners for all years baby!! I really want something a lot more inclusive than Tunercat!
Alot more inclusive then TC???? they offer software for vehicles from 1985-2005 how much more inclusive does it get then that ??? the only thing they are not offering at the moment is v6 and 4cyl 0bd2 vehicles but i have it on good authority that will change shortly.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners for the LT1 POLL :)