Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

learnning how to tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default learnning how to tune

Iam looking for a tuner here in Cali. but to tell you the truth i have tried different shops in the area, I really dont trust anyone that I have seen so far. Iam considering tuning it my self, how hard is it to learn how tune a turbo car? What software would i need? would you reconmend it?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally wouldnt want to start tuning on a turbo car.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah its best to start out tuning a stock cam car that has boltons only. This is the easiest way to learn. Then move on to tuning with cams, boost.....

To answer the question though, no its not hard to learn, and when you screw up you can just reflash the old good tune you started with.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Like others have said, you really do not want to learn how to tune on a turbo car. It is far easier to start with a stock or very basic bolt on car, and go from there as you mod. I have done a lot of forced induction vehicles, so long as you edge on the rich side when you start you are fine, but knowing that is the hard part. A wideband is crucial at this point. The software is not hard to learn at all, plus with many forums around you will pick it up easily (depending on how fast you learn). You mentioned you are in Ca (where?), I would be willing to help you out if you would like.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Iam in redondo beach. I figured it would be much harder to learn on a FI car, what are you guys using to tune, a laptop and what else(program/software)?
Old 12-19-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I use HPTuners MPVI Pro with an AEM wideband. If you'd like, PM me and I can show you how involved (yet easy) tuning can be.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

read everything everywhere on tuning and trust none of it until you verify it with personal experience. start small, make one change at a time, document and observe everything. before long, you'll be pretty good.

there are a few very good people out there who explain how do it right, and alot of people who mean well but don't really understand it...so you have to be very careful about what you choose to believe.

theres a couple of good books you can buy as well.