PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1870 Help! NOT PASSING EMISSIONS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P1870 Help! NOT PASSING EMISSIONS!

Hey guys. Need some help here. My dad has a 98 Lumina that will not pass emissions because it throws a p1870 code. which is TCC slipage. I do have a scanner that will delete the code, but what can I do to fix this? Does the Torque converter have to be changed? I can't believe that it fails emissions because of a lil slippage. Supid if you ask me. Cause if the car went on the dyno I am pretty sure it would pass that way. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CF7GO
Hey guys. Need some help here. My dad has a 98 Lumina that will not pass emissions because it throws a p1870 code. which is TCC slipage. I do have a scanner that will delete the code, but what can I do to fix this? Does the Torque converter have to be changed? I can't believe that it fails emissions because of a lil slippage. Supid if you ask me. Cause if the car went on the dyno I am pretty sure it would pass that way. Thanks for the help in advance.
A P1870 is a general transmission component slippage code. It could be the TCC, but it could also be something else in the tranny causing it to slip. For example, the transmision could be wasted, or one of the clutch packs are not holding. Again a P1870 is a general component slippage code. It might be a simple fix (unlikely) or it may need an entire trans. Is the fluid dark and stinky? If so, those 4T40's can't handle much, the tranny is probably gone. If the fluid is bright red, and doesn't smell bad, it could just be a sticky TCC solenoid (that usually sets a seperate code though).

Quick Reply: P1870 Help! NOT PASSING EMISSIONS!