Sponsored by:

E-85 Ethanol Tunning

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:05 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E-85 Ethanol Tunning

Well I was going to fule up the 2007 Silverado Classic today at Kroger after grocery shopping, I got about 1,200 miles on it. So I pull up to a pump and the pump in front of me had a picture of some four foot ears of corn on it. I was woundering WTF is that. When I took a closer look it was E-85 Ethanol so I decided to filler up with it. ( I have the flex fule motor ) I got it for $1.77 a gallon here in Houston and that includes a 10 cent per gallon discount using my Kroger purchase points. Any how it seems to run the same, but I know that my MPG will go down because the Ethanol dosen`t produce as much enegry as the same amount of gas. So will this affect the way I need to tune the truck? The only difference that I can see is that in the "OP & CL" it has "EQ Ratio" and "EQ Ratio (alcohol)" in the "Open Loop" part. Also will I build up less carbon if I continue to use the E-85. What are the ups and downs of using the E-85? By the way the stuff smelled kinda like Tequila???? Yea I sniffed it.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Ah yes, the savior of the midwests' cornfields....Market economics...if this is the real thing why won't the market support it without government protections/promotions? Ok Al Gore, this is your manbearpig que to come in and tell us that we all need to drive *****, ahem..PreeUs cars
Old 12-31-2006, 10:09 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doc
Ah yes, the savior of the midwests' cornfields....Market economics...if this is the real thing why won't the market support it without government protections/promotions? Ok Al Gore, this is your manbearpig que to come in and tell us that we all need to drive *****, ahem..PreeUs cars
???? So what do I need to do to tune it. Nothing or do I need to take into consideration that I am running E-85 at this time. (may be temporary untill I hear otherwise) Lets not turn this into a political thread. Although I can see us going into other countries for WMDs and take over the land to grow corn. It wouldn`t suprise me though.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

What do you need to tune it? A wideband Oxygen sensor and one of the tried and true software setups....HPTuners, EFI Live... Catholic or Protestant take your pick. Plent-O-Info in this section's stickies
Old 12-31-2006, 10:43 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doc
What do you need to tune it? A wideband Oxygen sensor and one of the tried and true software setups....HPTuners, EFI Live... Catholic or Protestant take your pick. Plent-O-Info in this section's stickies
I just got my O2 bung welded in yesterday for my LM1 Wideband and I`m planning on doing exhaust and air intake thats all. I already did a 160 Tstat and adjusted my fans with HP Tuners. What I want to know if there is any special precautions I need to take while tunning a flex fule motor.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look in my sig for some info.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:12 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Runn
Look in my sig for some info.
Thanks I`ll check it out.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Make sure to adjust your LM-1 wideband controller for the different fuel. You can read about it in the users manual.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Doc

The market won't support farmers growing food for us without price supports either, but that doesn't mean they should stop growing. Sometimes, there is a compelling public interest in subsidizing an industry. In Europe, they have decided that airlines cannot be profitable and have nationalized that industries. You can't just do away with air travel. In this country, we have yet to figure out that it's very difficult to make a consistent profit in the airline industry, with a few exceptions. The airlines are going to continue to need bailouts.

As for E85, it too needs support right now, but many new technologies did before they were profitable. We already subsidize corn production. The going rate is so low that you would have trouble fitting $10 worth of corn in your Camaro. As the industry becomes more efficient, it may not need subsidies in the future. It's not the whole solution, but it's part of it, or at least worth looking into. If you support the status quo, you should just write a check out to Mr. Bin Laden, because that is where some of the profits are going.

BTW, I don't have a flexfuel vehicle, but I've been mixing E85 with gasoline in a 50/50 mixture. Seems to work fairly well. More power, only slightly less gas mileage.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:48 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by squealingtires
Make sure to adjust your LM-1 wideband controller for the different fuel. You can read about it in the users manual.
Thakns I was woundering about that myself.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:02 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Runn That is definatly some great info. I`m going to do some more reasearch and I`ll be in contact soon. Thanks
Al
Old 01-06-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

E85 is a good high performance fuel. It also carries a lot of oxygen, and would require a full retune, and possibly much larger fuel injectors. As for the economics and politics, the technology has not advanced far enough to make it a viable fossil fuel alternative, and maybe if farmers weren't so heavily subsidized, our nation wouldn't be full of fat-asses.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by al
Hey Runn That is definatly some great info. I`m going to do some more reasearch and I`ll be in contact soon. Thanks
Al
Youre welcome... read the thread it contains lots of good info.