PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boosted tune questions.................

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boosted tune questions.................

I'm new to EfiLive V1, and thought that I'd try to tune my new A&A Vortech setup on my 2001 C5.

I was told that the timing table from a 2000 Camaro was a Very good place to start (Thanks Jesse ), but I'm a little confused about the VE table and boost. Can I AutoVe it with a wb02 (haven't decided between an LC1, WB Commander, or a PLX SM-AFR) and get it or will it have to be dynoed?

What, other than IFR (calculated using Redhardsupras spreadsheet. Thanks RHS ) do I have to do to tune with the 60 lbs. Mototrons? I've read the stickies and everything that I can find on this, but hopefully I can do it myself and learn more about my car.

I Apppreciate any help you'd be able to give me!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell us about the fuel system, what is it, how's it set up, etc...
Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

27~29* @ WOT on a boosted setup was recommended? I know Jesse usually knows his stuff, but that seems a little high to me.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
tell us about the fuel system, what is it, how's it set up, etc...
First, I 've got to say Thanks for all of the articles and spreadsheets that you've made. I find them Very informative and interesting reading. I also trust what you say (which is a big problem for me, because I don't know who to believe).

As far as fuel system, I have the stock fuel system with a RaceTronix pump and harness, and a KB BAP that comes on at 3 lbs. boost. The injectors will be 60 lbs. MotoTrons in place of the stockers.

I was told by Andy of A&A that a fuel pump would be plenty, but I thought that a BAP can't hurt and I'd like to do this only once.

He sent a 3.6" pulley (I'd guess 9-10 lbs. of boost, but I don't know for sure).

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
27~29* @ WOT on a boosted setup was recommended? I know Jesse usually knows his stuff, but that seems a little high to me.
Should I back it down a few degrees? It's probably better to add timing, and watch for kr than it is to take it out huh?

Thanks Guys for your help!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

yah I would start with about 15 degrees of timing.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LuvmyC5
First, I 've got to say Thanks for all of the articles and spreadsheets that you've made. I find them Very informative and interesting reading. I also trust what you say (which is a big problem for me, because I don't know who to believe).
that's a good attitude, forums are great for discussion, but for instructions/solid information they're rather lousy. we could really use to have mods not just put out the reguarl programming of Chad vs Foff flamefests, but also clean up threads, or at least make coherent summaries at the end. that's why i have my site, i want one system of thought, something that works together, instead of a loose collection of writeups that contradict each other.

As far as fuel system, I have the stock fuel system with a RaceTronix pump and harness, and a KB BAP that comes on at 3 lbs. boost. The injectors will be 60 lbs. MotoTrons in place of the stockers.

I was told by Andy of A&A that a fuel pump would be plenty, but I thought that a BAP can't hurt and I'd like to do this only once.
get a real fuel pressure regulator, soemthing you can reference to the manifold, it's the only way to keep enough fuel pressure to keep injectors supplied with right amount of fuel. also, the ever popular walbro supplies 255L/hr of fuel, which is enough to supply 8 ~50lb/hr injectors. you're gonna need bigger injectors to do FI on a big v8, thus single walbro just not gonna cut it. read my recent blogs about it, it's kinda scary.

Should I back it down a few degrees? It's probably better to add timing, and watch for kr than it is to take it out huh?
yes, start from the safe side, you dont want too much timing induced knock because it will screw with your AFR which will not converge on a solid VE.
and of course, not blowing things up is a good thing
Old 01-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blackbird
yah I would start with about 15 degrees of timing.
Thanks! That sounds like a good place to start!

that's a good attitude, forums are great for discussion, but for instructions/solid information they're rather lousy. we could really use to have mods not just put out the reguarl programming of Chad vs Foff flamefests, but also clean up threads, or at least make coherent summaries at the end. that's why i have my site, i want one system of thought, something that works together, instead of a loose collection of writeups that contradict each other.

get a real fuel pressure regulator, soemthing you can reference to the manifold, it's the only way to keep enough fuel pressure to keep injectors supplied with right amount of fuel. also, the ever popular walbro supplies 255L/hr of fuel, which is enough to supply 8 ~50lb/hr injectors. you're gonna need bigger injectors to do FI on a big v8, thus single walbro just not gonna cut it. read my recent blogs about it, it's kinda scary.

yes, start from the safe side, you dont want too much timing induced knock because it will screw with your AFR which will not converge on a solid VE.
and of course, not blowing things up is a good thing
Amen to that!

Who makes a good regulator that won't break the bank?

I'm off to read your blogs now.

Thank You!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

aeromotive seems to be the reliable weapon of choice, but there's quite a bit of choices out there, sx, aem...
Old 01-05-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

aeromotive seems to be the reliable weapon of choice, but there's quite a bit of choices out there, sx, aem...
I went with the SX stuff, really impressed by the overall quality of their components.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

2002 timing table is what i said. a 2000 is toooooomuch for sure!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Also, if you dont use a custom os, I use the table B5908 to do the pulling for me. If i set that table to pull 4 degrees at my commanded pe value. Then any time im in PE it will pull out the timing and make it not have any kr. It will have plenty of timing for regular driving and wont be sloppy or have any hesitation that way from lack of timing. Just a little cheater hint for you.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wait4me
2002 timing table is what i said. a 2000 is toooooomuch for sure!
My Sincerest apologies! Thank You for correcting me!

I wrote the wrong year down. Got a case of Sometimers! It's like Alzheimers, but only sometimes!

Originally Posted by wait4me
Also, if you dont use a custom os, I use the table B5908 to do the pulling for me. If i set that table to pull 4 degrees at my commanded pe value. Then any time im in PE it will pull out the timing and make it not have any kr. It will have plenty of timing for regular driving and wont be sloppy or have any hesitation that way from lack of timing. Just a little cheater hint for you.
Thanks Jesse! I can use all of the cheater hints you're willing to give!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
WTF??? Am I reading this right??? 27~29 degrees of advance at WOT, while on boost??? Unless you have 110 octane fuel and Alky you will run that setup only once... I never got away from more than 19 degrees, on cold days and 97 octane...

Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SideStep
WTF??? Am I reading this right??? 27~29 degrees of advance at WOT, while on boost??? Unless you have 110 octane fuel and Alky you will run that setup only once... I never got away from more than 19 degrees, on cold days and 97 octane...

That's the problem with being a tuning newbie. I wrote down the wrong year and am glad that I posted this, so that it got corrected. I have ALOT of learning to do before I jump into my own tuning. Getting the software is the easy part....learning to use it is not. It's fun though, especially once I get my first tune running well!

Sorry again for the misinformation! That was my fault (not Jesse's) and I just went and cleaned out my ears!
Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 PM
9 Second Club

I run a max on my AGRESSIVE tune 23. Norm on my car is 18.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

With the 2002 timing table from the camaro, it follows a 22 to 19 degree pattern, Them more airflow it sees the more timing is pulled, So it works out well.