Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake air temp resistor "chip" ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake air temp resistor "chip" ???'s

The resistor basically makes your car think it has a constant iat right? I was considering getting one for my car. The reason I was doing this is because, although I think you would see little performance gain, I think it may make my car more consistent when I bracket race it. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts about this products benifits to consistency when brackt racing?

Since I am not worried about quick ets as much as consistency I would probably use a resistor that gave a false temp of about 80, that way I have little chance of kr.

Last edited by jeremy341a; 01-09-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tune is not where a bracket racer needs to concentrate his efforts to be successfull, it is in the suspension, tires and consitent launch techniques. This will yeild far more win results then trying to trick the PCM to think it is always at 80* outside.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremy341a
The resistor basically makes your car think it has a constant iat right? I was considering getting one for my car. The reason I was doing this is because, although I think you would see little performance gain, I think it may make my car more consistent when I bracket race it. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts about this products benifits to consistency when brackt racing?

Since I am not worried about quick ets as much as consistency I would probably use a resistor that gave a false temp of about 80, that way I have little chance of kr.

Just take the IAT spark adders out, they only come in at high temperatures anyway. But if this is your concern, your ECTs have a % multiplier that acts against PE. And I'm not sure what you mean by saying you would have little chance of KR. The chance of having it would go UP. If I'm not mistaken the spark adder is totally negative and focused high up on the MAP (>85kpa) to help in extreme intake temp situations....help PREVENT knock.

I advise you leave them all alone and focus on those things mentioned above.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 12secSS
The tune is not where a bracket racer needs to concentrate his efforts to be successfull, it is in the suspension, tires and consitent launch techniques. This will yeild far more win results then trying to trick the PCM to think it is always at 80* outside.
This is a stock A4 so I feel like the launches will be fairly consistent. The sixtys' in my old car were usually within a few. Wouldn't the tune also lead to consistency. It wouldn't be good to have one run with a much higher iat because the engine bay is heat soaked after a few elimination runs.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

dont trick the IAT
Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeremy341a
This is a stock A4 so I feel like the launches will be fairly consistent. The sixtys' in my old car were usually within a few. Wouldn't the tune also lead to consistency. It wouldn't be good to have one run with a much higher iat because the engine bay is heat soaked after a few elimination runs.
If you are worried about heat soak and running during hot lap sessions, don't push or turn off your car through the staging lanes. Instead keep it on so it can always be a the same operating temp. Since you are not going for a "record" to improve your ETs or MPH, it is not beneficial to try to keep the car as cool as possible. This leads to inconsistent results. It is best to keep all the fluids at a consistent operating temp to help run the most consistent package.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 12secSS
If you are worried about heat soak and running during hot lap sessions, don't push or turn off your car through the staging lanes. Instead keep it on so it can always be a the same operating temp. Since you are not going for a "record" to improve your ETs or MPH, it is not beneficial to try to keep the car as cool as possible. This leads to inconsistent results. It is best to keep all the fluids at a consistent operating temp to help run the most consistent package.
I agree with your point of keeping the fluids consistent. I don't have any data to back this up, but I would think as the night goes on an the hot lapping begins the under hood temp gets higher even though the fluid temps remain consistent. Therefore I would be afraid the intake air temps would go up due to heat soak even though the actually air temp did not go up. I know this is not going to make a huge difference but anyone who has every bracket raced knows every little bit counts.