Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTSV + HP Tuners = Locked PCM

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTSV + HP Tuners = Locked PCM

My buddy who has tuned about 500 cars and trucks tried to tune another friend's '06 CTSV. It locked up the computer and the car wouldn't start at all. It had to be towed to the dealer. Has anyone else experienced this and how can it be fixed. The guy just installed a TNT set up and needs it tuned but he's afraid the same thing will happen again and the dealer charged him a nut to fix it. Is it a security thing or what's the deal. HP Tuners is clueless with this.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What was the exact error message you were receiving when the write would fail?

I assume you already contacted support?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May not be the issue but I am tuning an 04 V now and I found you need to pull the fuse for the radio/nav system before doing a write.

You can do slow speed writes a good majority of the times with the fuse in but even that has gone into recovery mode a few times.

Just throwing that out there, may help, may not.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

dfe1 stay out of this thread if you have NOTHING useful to offer... only warning
Old 01-10-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

goodbye dfe1

edit:
Guess you are pushing for an even longer ban....

Last edited by horist; 01-10-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

dfe1, you're making an *** of yourself here.

You were asked to tone it down. This is a request for help in an HPTuners thread. It is not an EFILive thread.

I'm giving you a 1 week time out. Your username will work again after that.

Do it again and I'll do my best to make sure you stay off this site permanently.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magnus
What was the exact error message you were receiving when the write would fail?

I assume you already contacted support?
Sorry I've taken so long to reply. My car was broken into and I've been running around trying to find a new window.
Yes, my mechanic has contacted support and he said he was told that it should work without problems. I don't know the error message he got but I'll ask him.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackbird
May not be the issue but I am tuning an 04 V now and I found you need to pull the fuse for the radio/nav system before doing a write.

You can do slow speed writes a good majority of the times with the fuse in but even that has gone into recovery mode a few times.

Just throwing that out there, may help, may not.
You know what? That sounds like that might work because my buddy said the dealer told him something about the cars security system kicking in.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah alot of the times the different modules try to "talk" to the pcm & just wont shut up...in those cases you'll have to pull those troubled modules fuses temporarily.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BirdofPreyBandit
Sorry I've taken so long to reply. My car was broken into and I've been running around trying to find a new window.
Yes, my mechanic has contacted support and he said he was told that it should work without problems. I don't know the error message he got but I'll ask him.
Did your friend try to do a full re-write? It seems Hptuners does not match up OS's on LS2's which will let you pop them if you try to do a full re-write as then the boot block doesn't also get flashed.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Teching In

I have written tunes to my 04 V numerous times without pulling the fuse. I do make sure that the nav/radio is off. I also turn off the AC/Htr and the headlights. Not sure why these make a difference, but I rarely have it lose connection or try to shift speeds.

If you want to pull the fuse, I think it is under the back seat.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

yep it's under the back seat, little red 10 amp guy pretty much all the way over to the right (towards passenger side)

Wow your lucky you dont have to pull the fuse. I always turn everything off on any car I flash but on this guy the only way it works well is to pull the fuse.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com
Did your friend try to do a full re-write? It seems Hptuners does not match up OS's on LS2's which will let you pop them if you try to do a full re-write as then the boot block doesn't also get flashed.
Alvin, we do match up OS's on LS2's. We also do a check to make sure that you do not write the calibration of one OS over the calibration of another.

Also, the purpose of the boot block is just that, too boot up the ECM. It is not supposed to be reflashed. It is the reason why LS2's are fully recoverable unlike the previous LS1 series of PCM's.

This is the exact reason why GM, and HP Tuners do not over write the boot block of these ECM's.

Since our LS2 product was released for beta, about 1.5 years ago, we have not had one single ECM shipped to us from a customer that was not recoverable using our software available to the customers. In fact, I cannot recall any Gen4 based ECM's shipped to us yet for recovery. If you feel that you have found an issue, please let us know and we can look into it further.

Also, please do not forget about the support issue here:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9610
As soon as we get those HPT files and the service # of the ecm, we can try out the process on our bench setups to see if we can duplicate the problem. If we cannot, you can also send us your ECM's for inspection as well.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Magnus,

The OS was not checked before I did a full re-write if it was, it wouldn't have let me do the re-write. I do not have the stock files as I didn't care to save them. They where cores out of the junkyard. I can send you the file I was trying to flash in them, or you can just go to the tune repository and download a 2005 stock GTO file because thats exactly what I did. Also, both PCM's where E40's as you can read between the fins on the PCM.

If you want a dead PCM let me know, but I do not want to send them off and they not come back as we have someone that can fix them the hard way.

thanks for the help though. Don't think there is anything I can do about it other than not try it again.

Last edited by Alvin; 01-11-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I just tried what you described on an E40 and did receive the appropriate error message.

If you would like me to look at the ECM please e-mail me a link to this thread and I can give you the appropriate address.

After inpsection it will be sent back. We will not open it up.
Attached Thumbnails CTSV + HP Tuners = Locked PCM-calibration-mismatch.jpg  
Old 01-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Banned

I'm brand new to the forum and I'm a little confused by the posts in this thread. I had similar problems with a PCM locking up. I could never get the problem solved and had to go buy another PCM. What's this about customers being able to recover PCMs? No one ever mentioned anything like that to me.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

programs like hptuners & efilive in most cases have the ability to recover the pcm as long as your doing a write calibration only...you can read more about it here http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...menu_write.htm
Old 01-13-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Steve Decept
I'm brand new to the forum and I'm a little confused by the posts in this thread. I had similar problems with a PCM locking up. I could never get the problem solved and had to go buy another PCM. What's this about customers being able to recover PCMs? No one ever mentioned anything like that to me.

what software were you using? for the most part killing PCMs is a thing of the past now, especially for LS2 based vehicles (and LS1 based so long as calibration only is done)
Old 01-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by horist
what software were you using? for the most part killing PCMs is a thing of the past now, especially for LS2 based vehicles (and LS1 based so long as calibration only is done)
I was using HPTuners on a 2000 Firebird. I contacted HPT by e-mail and all I got was a bunch of nonsense about that can't happen, we've never heard of that and a other BS. So I bought another PCM and fortunately reflashed it OK. It just kind of surprised me when I saw this thread that evidently, the problem still hasn't been corrected.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Steve Decept
I was using HPTuners on a 2000 Firebird. I contacted HPT by e-mail and all I got was a bunch of nonsense about that can't happen, we've never heard of that and a other BS. So I bought another PCM and fortunately reflashed it OK. It just kind of surprised me when I saw this thread that evidently, the problem still hasn't been corrected.

oh really mr dfe1 (yes I see your first deleted post that said "goodbye dfe1" (yes mods and admins can see any posts deleted by yourself, along with all the posts of yours that I deleted) and immediately checked your IP information and found that your IP is one of the same mindspring dialup IPs that dfe1 uses) ...

So somehow, a person that just registered... with 2 posts... making a complaint about HP Tuners, just HAPPENS to have 2 of the IPs that dfe1 uses and also the VERY first post (which you deleted) was apparently your sarcastic attempt of being funny? (then you wised up... surprisingly... and deleted that and made a post with the purposeful attempt of trying to harm HP Tuners reputation....)

It's ashame some people have to stoop so low to make their product look better....

Oh surprise surprise... the IP of your latest post is also one of DFE1's IPs....

You just can't understand the concept of staying out of this thread huh? and now you create a fake account in an attempt to bash a product that competes with the product you use....

Seems like a real loser move to me... you posted useless BS in this thread... I asked you not to post unless you had something useful to say... then you persist... get a ONE WEEK (you can't go one week?) timeout... and now you pull this bullshit thinking that somehow you're the first person in the world ever to think of this huh?

Was it really so hard to just not post in this thread if you couldn't help the original poster?

I got rid of your friend "Old Geezer"s post as well since all he had to say was "who's whorist?" ... gee... no mention in here, so wonder who he was talking to? sad thing is... you seem to think that's an insult... but I don't really mind it... heck PSJ calls me wHorist all the time... as do many friends... in jest

too bad you feel the need to attack a product you have no experience with, just in an attempt to make the product you use look better... very sad

Last edited by horist; 01-13-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: CTSV + HP Tuners = Locked PCM