Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desensitizing the knock sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desensitizing the knock sensor

How do you Desensitize the knock sensor on LT1-Edit? I was told you can make it like a LT4 knock sensor to not get false knock. Im getting false knock at WOT from my valvetrain, RRs,hardened pushrods, ect.
Thanks
Jim
Old 03-19-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Increase the decay retard table and decrease the attack table. Do them by a percentage at a time. I think i did like 15% desensitizing to get rid of my false knock.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks man....
Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

i have a lot of knock around my shift points anybody know what the tables would be for tunercat?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

I have attached the following tables from tunercats. could someone help me on how to adjust these?
Attached Thumbnails Desensitizing the knock sensor-untitled.jpg  
Old 05-15-2007, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

anybody?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

There are two of those tables that can help you alter the sensitivity of the sensor.

1.) Knock Fast Attack Rate (Higher number means a more aggressive KR)
2.) Knock Recovery Rate (Higher number means the faster the KR will be removed)

1.) So take the table on your very left in the picture you have hosted, try lowering a little bit at a time. Normally it shouldn't take more than 15% - 20% to remove the false knock. Use caution when doing this, and go in small steps. You do not want to tune the computer to ignore real knock so it satisfies your logging software into showing 0. This is to help with actually avoiding false knock, not cheating a logging program.
2.) For the second part, this wont actually desensitize the sensor, but help you bring in your timing if you do get false knock. This table, which is the third one from the left in your picture, will determine the percentage of timing to be put back in, per 8 cam pulses. So in turn, raising this number will put the retarded timing back into the motor more aggressively. Use caution on this one, if it is real knock, you don't want to be adding timing while it is still pinging.

Thats odd that it is causing knock under WOT, normally valve train noise doesn't cause issues under WOT, but play around with it and see.

It wouldn't hurt to check out some other things, I'm assuming you haven't already, excuse me if I am mistaken. But you may want to eliminate the possibility of real knock, by trying some race gas, and logging, playing with the fuel and timing, etc.

Hope all this helps.

Last edited by Kryckter; 05-15-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kryckter
It wouldn't hurt to check out some other things, I'm assuming you haven't already, excuse me if I am mistaken. But you may want to eliminate the possibility of real knock, by trying some race gas, and logging, playing with the fuel and timing, etc.

Hope all this helps.
yeah that helps alot thanks. your right i havent checked everything else yet. i'm waiting on my LT4 knock module to come in so i can install it and go over the whole car to see that nothing is banging or causing any unwanted noise. i'll log the car and see if i still have knock. if i still do i'll try the race gas and hopefully the knock is still there so that i know its false. if it is then i'll adjust the tables.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

so i installed an LT4 knock module and set all my low octane yables to zero. drove the car around and no knock at WOT all the way up to 6350. the problem appears to be 90% fixed since i did see knock twice at low rpms driving at like 25 but it left pretty fast. i going to keep logging and take it to the track to see what happens.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

unfortunately datalogged the car during normal driving and knock all over the place. guess the lt4 km didnt fix anything. i'll have to go under the car now and inspect everything and then do the race gas. this is starting to suck.

Quick Reply: Desensitizing the knock sensor