PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPS unplugged...car drives around normally...WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS unplugged...car drives around normally...WTF???

I searched this and read some interesting threads on "Idling Problems".

My "TCS OFF" light in the guage cluster stays on and the idle quality is crazy and would stall alot during cold start-up. After warmed up it will stay running but the idle is higher than normal, than sometimes at stop lights it will surge all over the place, its just good at times than bad. O2's and all wiring is brand new.

After I'm moving and using the gas pedal for air delivery via the TB throttle blade, the engine operates 100% normal, the problems are only apparent when my foot is off the pedal and the engine/PCM have control of things.

I was checking my throttle body and when I put all the **** back together I forgot to plug the TPS back in, I drove it around for 2 days and it was normal, or at least the same as it was.

SO.....from reading the posts.....it appears when the TPS fails the PCM goes into a "speed density" tune and it will disable the TCS.

I installed a BRAND NEW GM "IAC" yesterday and it did nothing. (The only 1998 IAC GM had anywhere in the United States, pretty crazy eh!)

No codes EVER at all, no SES blinking, nothing.

Anyone think I just need a new TPS?

Old 03-31-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

I heard it was due to the tune with the air differences in the intake due to the cam...Changing you TPS will due nothing for you even though its throwing a code.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01'WS6
I heard it was due to the tune with the air differences in the intake due to the cam...Changing you TPS will due nothing for you even though its throwing a code.
This all started out of the blue, no cam change, and I NEVER got any codes of any kind. Just one day, bam!

My friend just scanned it and it showed nothing, but we had the battery disconnected for at least 1 hour so whatever was there had been cleared. I'm going back over there now to see if it shows a TPS code.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Let me know if u ever find anything out because mine does the same thing as well. It gets annoying real fast!
Old 05-04-2007, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same problem here and just did a h/c and 90/90 install. HELP!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

I know you should see a code if you have a MAF problem but I can't help but want to start diagnosing there.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We did mess with the maf settings trying to lean my tune out around 4500rpm-6000rpm.

Quick Reply: TPS unplugged...car drives around normally...WTF???