Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark advance "stuck"

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Spark advance "stuck"

I recently purchased my ride and I beleive the tune was messed with by the previous owner becasue it has very little low end. I took it to the local dyno and it ran 327 rwhp, 336 rwtq. The wide band indicated it ran slightly rich but timing was fixed at -6 degrees throughout the rmp range. The dyno operator feels that something in the driveline might be setting off the knock sensors. We noticed that the right rear wheel was slightly untrue and that might cause the "knock". Could someone prior have set the tuning like this? Any ideas as to what I should do next aside from fixing the rear wheel?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

The wheel is not gonna set off the knock sensor. The knock sensors are in the engine block. What was the total advance that the engine was running?
Old 04-06-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

You wouldn't put down 300+ rwhp with timing at -6 degrees. You may have had 6 degrees of knock retard from the knock sensors, which would have put you at 21~23 degrees of timing while the knock sensors were pulling timing.

You might be running lean, which could cause some pinging. 2000's are known for a pinging issue because they have the most aggressive stock timing curve.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
You wouldn't put down 300+ rwhp with timing at -6 degrees. You may have had 6 degrees of knock retard from the knock sensors, which would have put you at 21~23 degrees of timing while the knock sensors were pulling timing.

You might be running lean, which could cause some pinging. 2000's are known for a pinging issue because they have the most aggressive stock timing curve.
yeah im sure thats what he meant 6 degrees knock retard.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Thanks all for the reply. I will have to ask the dyno operator again to make sure what was meant by -6 degrees timing but I thought that we meant at WOT timing was -6. This is all new to me sorry if I come off as a newbie......