PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARG!! DTC P0103 MAF Sensor Circuit High Frequency wont go away!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ARG!! DTC P0103 MAF Sensor Circuit High Frequency wont go away!!

I was running against a crotch rocket one night and when I was high in the RPM in 4th the engine suddenly stumbled hard and felt as if it was down some cylinders out of nowhere. It almost sounded as if it had blown up, so I shut it down and looked everything over, and didn't see anything. Started it back up and it was running great again.

I took it to AutoZone to get the code checked and got MAF Sensor Circuit High Frequency. I had it cleared and it came back. Thinking I hada short I ran a new signal wire direct from the PCM to the MAF, as well as a new power wire to the MAF. I have also tried a different MAF. The problem will still not go away.

So now what I get is an engine that runs fine until 4,500 rpm then stumbles and loses all power.

This is a '98 LS1 in a Mazda RX-7 with a Jesse Bubb PCM tune. I understand that most mail order tunes only tune the tables to a certain RPM, and that is why I am having the problem above 4,500 RPM. With this code on the PCM is running speed density and there are probably not tables to use above 4,500. At least this is what I have been told?

What I DON'T understand, is why I cannot get rid of this code. The only things left that I have not replaced is the ground wire to the MAF, and the PCM. Could one of these be causing my problem??

Thanks for any help guys, this is driving me nuts.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Also, this is a mostly stock LS1. No n2o or other form of FI. As far as I know there is no reason other than a failure of some sort to cause this.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to monitor the MAF output freq with a scanner. If it is not exceeding 14khz and you are sure the wiring, power, and ground is OK, it could be the PCM took a dump.
http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8766.php
Old 04-10-2007, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I read that page. Unfortunately I am currently quite poor and can't afford anything that would allow me to monitor what is going on.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Try another maf I have had this problem on a few higher mileage trucks that have come through the shop. Replacing the maf fixed it. If you are running a k&n you might just take some brake clean and wash the maf out real good.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

tried 2 mafs already with no change. i dont know what gives...
Old 04-10-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Time for a dtc tree and a dvom then.

Quick Reply: ARG!! DTC P0103 MAF Sensor Circuit High Frequency wont go away!!