Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

using 98 harness and PCM for 01 motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using 98 harness and PCM for 01 motor

What would I need to change if I were to use a 98 LS1 harness and PCM into a 01 motor..?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing it plugs in and goes as long as it is in a 98 car or used in a engine conversion of some sort.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the 98's were wired differently?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just need the ECT sensor for the 98 motor.

The harness to pcm is different, and you can't swap, but the 2 as an assembly in a conversion vehicle, isn't a problem.

Ryan
Old 04-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I thought the 98's were wired differently?
I was told the same thing which is why I asked before I made a comittment to the purchase.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

That is a loaded question and needs more detail. I can see in your sig that you are working on a Mazda project and you have a WRX picture. I am not a mind reader. What is this for? The reason I am asking is if it is an Fbody then you will have chassis wiring issues that I have the fix for. If it is for some hybrid app then you need to elaborate on what Instrument displays you are planning on using. In simplest terms, the motor does not care what harness you have plugging into it. The corresponding sensors plugs are the same. The ECT sensor plug it'self for the 98 motor has an extra wire coming out of it for the 98 cluster, the sensors are the same. So essentially in that case if you were wiring up your 98 harness to an 01 motor which cluster would you be using? If it is for the hybrid then I am guessing you are using aftermarket gages in which case the 98 harness would be of more value to you as they had the extra wires that were routed to the Instrument Cluster that if you researched the Output values, could lead you to wiring them up with little extra work as the 98 cluster will already provide them.

So, whatcha got?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Doc
That is a loaded question and needs more detail. I can see in your sig that you are working on a Mazda project and you have a WRX picture. I am not a mind reader. What is this for? The reason I am asking is if it is an Fbody then you will have chassis wiring issues that I have the fix for. If it is for some hybrid app then you need to elaborate on what Instrument displays you are planning on using. In simplest terms, the motor does not care what harness you have plugging into it. The corresponding sensors plugs are the same. The ECT sensor plug it'self for the 98 motor has an extra wire coming out of it for the 98 cluster, the sensors are the same. So essentially in that case if you were wiring up your 98 harness to an 01 motor which cluster would you be using? If it is for the hybrid then I am guessing you are using aftermarket gages in which case the 98 harness would be of more value to you as they had the extra wires that were routed to the Instrument Cluster that if you researched the Output values, could lead you to wiring them up with little extra work as the 98 cluster will already provide them.

So, whatcha got?
Sorry for not elaborating enough, basically.. I wanted to make sure all the connectors will work (IE: sensors, injectors etc) or will I need to convert all the sensors to 98 sensors.. I wasn't sure if everything would plug up on the motor.. As far as the everything else (cluster, electronics, etc) the harness will be converted over to fit the mazda factory stuff.. So it will be plug and play..

Marc