PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will using a handheld tuner mess up my custom tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default will using a handheld tuner mess up my custom tune?

years ago i installed a diablosport tune when my car was pretty much stock w/ bolt-on's... now i recently installed an STS kit plus other goodies and had my car dyno tuned for the turbo. i had an SES light come on, and if i were to simply read the dtc using the handheld, would that have any effect on the custom tune? what about clearing the codes?

also, would modifying my shift points for my tranny using the handheld have any effect on the engine tune?

its just that i still have the handheld, and i want to try to get some use out of it....
Old 04-11-2007, 03:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You should still be able to use the handheld for diagnostic codes without messing up the custom tune but I am not sure about changing shift points with it. Usually a tuner will lock the computer once they have installed a tune.Maybe somebody else will know for sure about the shift points because im intrested in that also since I will be getting a professional tune very soon.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you use the Predators 'factory hp' tune, it will work fine.
You cant use the performance tune as it would apply spark and fuel curves for a stock/bolt-on car, which would not work well with your turbo.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

well i am having a new problem now... i had my mechanic clear my DTC after replacing my front o2 sensors, and ever since then, my tranny wont shift out of 1st. i even replaced the stock tranny with a new built one, and it still doesnt shift out of first gear.... the pcm is commanding all of the gears and solenoids, as we hooked up a scan tool to check it, but the car wont shift out of first when driving it... does anyone have any ideas as to whats going on?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

1) The only real reason a "tuner" will lock your tune is because he/she is a chicken **** that doesn't want somebody else to see their crappy work.

2)If you are supremely confident in the material condition of the tranny and have not altered the tune in anyway, then you are only left with one troublespot- wiring.

3)Short of supreme confidence in the tranny it is very easy to put the valve body bolts in incorrectly and have potentially weird **** happen where the PCM is commanding one thing and you are obviously not getting the gear commanded.

More details on how you went from just wanting to up some shift points with your predator on a tune you bought from some shop to swapping trannies.

You have to admit, that is pretty drastic. It kinda sounds like "I was sitting at the control panel, eating a donut contemplating my navel lint and out of no where the reactor went into meltdown."

...Tell us more Homer...
Old 04-11-2007, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doc
1) The only real reason a "tuner" will lock your tune is because he/she is a chicken **** that doesn't want somebody else to see their crappy work.

2)If you are supremely confident in the material condition of the tranny and have not altered the tune in anyway, then you are only left with one troublespot- wiring.

3)Short of supreme confidence in the tranny it is very easy to put the valve body bolts in incorrectly and have potentially weird **** happen where the PCM is commanding one thing and you are obviously not getting the gear commanded.

More details on how you went from just wanting to up some shift points with your predator on a tune you bought from some shop to swapping trannies.

You have to admit, that is pretty drastic. It kinda sounds like "I was sitting at the control panel, eating a donut contemplating my navel lint and out of no where the reactor went into meltdown."

...Tell us more Homer...

lol, sorry to sound so random.... anyways heres the story.

i installed the predator tune about 2 years ago when my car was stock. fast forward 2 years to recently... december (2006)

i installed an STS kit with a cam, fuel system, etc that would obviously require a new tune, so i towed it about 3 hours away to get a dyno tune, from a sponsor, for all the new engine stuff. it was tuned with the stock tranny and converter and drove great afterward.

now we all know stock things dont last very long with more power, so about a week after driving with the new tune, i lost 2nd gear. The stock transmission would then only shift from 1-3 and 3-4, so it was still driveable. i kept driving it for about a week, and then i got a DTC for the front o2 sensors, 1137 and 1157, as the rears were tuned out. i had my mechanic replace the o2's with some bosch 13111's and he reset the codes. when i went to pick up the car, the STOCK transmission would then not shift out of first gear, but it still drove great, but only in first and would not upshift

i figured the tranny had its day, and was time for a new one. I then ordered a built tranny with a 3000 stall from another sponser on here and proceed to have that installed. when i went to test drive it for the first time, it would do the SAME thing as with the stock tranny... and not shift out of first gear. before blaming the tranny, my mechanic and i thought it was an electrical problem with the pcm. he hooked up his scan tool, and performed all kinds of tests with the solenoids, etc, checked all the wiring, and everything seemed fine. while driving, the pcm was commanding all of the gears but the tranny itself would not shift.

i had another pcm from when my car was stock, so we installed it just to see if the tranny would shift with the old pcm, and it would do the same thing, just stay in first gear and not upshift. we have checked everything, and i have tried to contact my tuner for help but have been unsuccessful. the tranny builder has also been very helpful, but we still cannot find the problem.

we were thinking its the pcm, as i had this issue with the stock tranny, but we swapped out the pcms and it still wouldnt shift out of first, so now could that be a tranny issue?

ok, so after all that out of the way, any ideas? I'M open to more questions and thanks a lot for your help!!! its been 2 days and we still have nothing!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, let's see...
You have tried it with 2 different transmissions, no change.
You have tried it with 2 different PCMs with 2 different tunes, no change.
The PCM is commanding the correct gears.
Assuming that the gear shift selector is correct (and no reason to believe that it is not) I would say that it is somewhere between, which I would assume is the wiring harness.
JMO. Best of luck.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc
Not true, with HPT, if you only license one yr/VIN, you have to lock it

OP, did you replace your 1-2 shift solenoid?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

well, after talking with the sponsor repeatedly about the issue, there is one more thing that we can try... but in the morning. if that doesnt work, then this tranny is coming out..
Old 04-13-2007, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

after a week of diagnosing this, we've come to the conclusion that the tranny is the cause of the problem. its under warranty, so when the new one gets here hopefully that will solve the issue! thanks for all the help guys!