Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustments to Predator Tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustments to Predator Tune

I just installed a U7198 Predator tune and am currently working on making adjustments to injector slope and power enrichment based on LTFT and NB O2 sensors. Has anyone made any other adjustments to a U7198 tune that they would recommend?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

those are the only things I have done with mine so far... on mine (U7191), the spark/timing adjustment is only for WOT/PE, so I can't play around with that for normal driving anyway...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
those are the only things I have done with mine so far... on mine (U7191), the spark/timing adjustment is only for WOT/PE, so I can't play around with that for normal driving anyway...
Hi, Lew, you're not checking your email.

I am interested in turning off torque management but I don't want to hurt the A4 and I don't know enough about it to mess with it yet.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't turn off Tq Mgt all of the time. If you were racing (ie a day at the track), maybe. Turning it off is like giving your car permission to powershift. Do it enough and parts will eventually fail, and fail earlier then they normally would have under stock conditions. When I tuned my A4, I only turned off 50% max. I also added in Tq Mgt to the 3>4 shift as these cars don't have any from the factory. I think that's a significant culprit when people say that the 3>4 is notoriously weak in these cars.

As for your fuel trims and such, there were several threads that gave great instruction on how to adjust for fueling. If you can't find them, I'm sure 06MonteSS can help you as he was in most of them.

Spark - I wouldn't mess with unless you're on a dyno. The one problem with my '02 (that I couldn't see until I bought EFILive) was timing was too high around 4,000~5,200 once I really started moving some air through the cylinders (I could only run about 18* of timing there). From the factory, it's set to 18* at .8 grams/cylinder. However, if you get some more air flowing through the motor, timing goes up to 19.5*. It's like the engineers fubar'd that part of the spark table by assuming nobody would mod these cars, improve the airflow, and therefore they would never see that part of the timing table. From about 5,600rpm on up, I added in 1~2% of timing. I don't know how specific you can get with your handheld. But depending on what kind of timing you're seeing stock, you may have to pull some around peak torque.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 04-18-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
As for your fuel trims and such, there were several threads that gave great instruction on how to adjust for fueling. If you can't find them, I'm sure 06MonteSS can help you as he was in most of them.
yup... I'm pretty sure he's seen this already, but here it is again:

http://diablosport.com/index.php?nam...iewtopic&t=917

I haven't done anything with removing TM from mine, as it's not an option on our cars or Predator U7191 yet - no tranny support at the moment.

But, here's the info I have about tranny and TM settings, direct from Diablosport's developers:

============================================

TRANSMISSION & TORQUE MANAGEMENT:

Torque Management:

We have found for the most efficient reduction/elimination of the torque management system involves 3 sets of tables:

a) % Torque Reduction vs. RPM -- torque reduction as a function of rpm

b) Abuse Mode Time Limit -- torque reduction as a function of time

c) Norm & Perf. Upshift torque reduction -- torque reduction as a function of gear and
torque.

Setting these tables to 0 will eliminate the torque reduction strategy.

PLEASE NOTE: We do not recommend that the Norm & Perf upshift torque reduction is turned off or set to 0 in trucks and SUV’s as the shift quality seems to suffer from it.

A) Shift Adjustments, speed and pressure:

a) Shift Adaptation is how quickly the shift will occur, you can reduce this to desired
effect. A good starting point is setting these to .2 across for all gears.

b) Shift Pressure is how firm/hard the shifts will feel and are adjustable throughout part
and wide open throttle operation.

c) Max Pressure -- this is a scalar that limits the max allowable pressure during a shift.

B) CAGS, computer aided gear selection aka skip shift:
On vehicles equipped with CAGS (Skip Shift) this enables you to turn it on or off via a switch or by manipulating the enable/disable speed. The easiest thing to do is to turn the logic off by setting it to 0.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 04-18-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by b4c2002camaro
Hi, Lew, you're not checking your email.
when?? I didn't get an email from you about TM removal? see my post above ^

Old 04-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, guys, for all the good info. And yes, Lew, I did see your Diablo stickey. Good work and very helpful!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
when?? I didn't get an email from you about TM removal? see my post above ^
Sorry for the confusion. The three emails Monday evening were about adjusting injector slope and power enrichment. Thanks to your Diablo stickey, I got it figured out.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

cool...

yeah, I replied to your email yesterday I believe...

Old 04-18-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good work here guys!
BTW, we don't add much timing in the LS1 Fbodies, in fact depending on what year model it is, it may use the factory curve.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Staging Lane

I am having a problem with my firebird, it feels like traction control is cutting in to my fun. since i got my car out of storage the TCS OFF has been on the entire time and switch doesnt seem to work.

If i put the car in low and punch it from a roll (20-30mph) the tires break loose and suddenly i feel a huge cut in power like i cant accelerate. Could this be torque management doing that? i pulled the fuse from TCS just to make sure, but it didnt make any difference. It was tuned by Exotic performance plus, but i dont have any idea what they did settings wise.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:50 AM
On the tree

The Ls1 cars did not have torque management that I know...
Old 04-20-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
The Ls1 cars did not have torque management that I know...
Uhhh, yeah they do. It's mainly a feature that extends the 4L60E's lifespan.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 04-20-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:29 AM
On the tree

Must be why I didnt see it, mines a T56...
Old 04-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Launching!

So what settings are people using for the torque management functions?

Abuse Mode Time Limit is an on / off adjustment -- turn this off or leave on?

Norm & Perf. Upshift torque reduction -- this would be turned off correct to prevent the PCM from pulling timing during shifts?

% Torque Reduction vs. RPM -- recommendations?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hey BeaSSt... just replied to your message as well..

for us Monte/Impala owners, we can't adjust any tranny/torque management settings - tranny support is not yet available on our Predators (U7191).

Supposedly Diablosport is working on this and we will have it "soon".

So for now, the only info I have to offer is the stuff I have from Diablosport that I posted in post #5.

-Lew

Old 05-11-2007, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Can the predator allow me to change upshift and down shift thresholds. I am not interested in changing or altering the torque management in any way.

Thanks,
BILL
Old 05-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wm_sorg
Can the predator allow me to change upshift and down shift thresholds. I am not interested in changing or altering the torque management in any way.

Thanks,
BILL
Depends on the type car. For fbodys, yes.

Quick Reply: Adjustments to Predator Tune