Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing advance

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing advance

I have scanned several times and was seeing 20.5*. My car has felt like it wasn't pulling as good as it should with these settings. I changed the advance to reflect 25.5*-26* in the main spark-airflow table and it reflects while scanning. Is this safe? I have been known to spray a 125 shot on it. I did log with higher timing on motor and bottle @ wot and no KR. My wot AFR is very conservative IMO 11.4 @ peak torque to 12.2 @ peak power. Engine is completely stock internal.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More and more timing doesn't mean more and more power. You want to run the least amount of timing that makes the most power (ie MBT timing). That combined with the appropriate AFR will get you the best, yet still safe results. Adding in all that extra fuel is essentially retarding timing anyway because it slows the burn rate once ignited. Finding MBT can be time consuming and rather difficult without the right equipment (ie loaded dyno, software with real-time controls, etc.). Personally, I don't think '01 and '02s need more than 24* of timing on the top end when combined with a 12.8~13.0 AFR while running N/A. I only wish I had the time and resources to create some data to back up that theory.

If you run nitrous, you generally want to pull roughly 4 degrees of timing from normal N/A operation, run a cooler plug (NGK TR6's) and target a ~12:1 AFR for a 100~125 shot to truly be safe.