Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0342 Cam position sensor low voltage

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P0342 Cam position sensor low voltage

Getting this code, I've replaced the sensor and the car is still having a very hard time starting, backfires when it doesn't, and bucks horribly once I do get it started (every other day or so) and drive it around the block.

I have a multimeter but does the cam position sensor get voltage when the key is in the "on" position? I know I'll have to pull the fuel pump fuse to keep it from spraying fuel everywhere when the intake is off, anything else I should know? I'm a wiring idiot and need some advice. I'm about to pull the intake off again to check for loose or damaged wires. Thanks

Matt
Old 04-23-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I pulled the intake off and I'm using a multimeter on the sensor connector, getting 10.7v on the power wire with the key in the "on" position. Does anyone know if this is normal? I don't get a reading on the other two wires, one of which is the ground. Any help?

Last edited by WestSide; 04-23-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the 10.7v is when i'm using the ground for the multimeter on the chassis of the car, the multimeter reads 0.01 when I put the ground for the multimeter in the ground connector on the sensor plug. think the ground wire is cut?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the code and my cam bolts had backed out... not really a condition that makes you want to keep starting it up to "see if its better now".
Old 04-24-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frost
I got the code and my cam bolts had backed out... not really a condition that makes you want to keep starting it up to "see if its better now".
Well wouldn't the ground in the sensor plug not working be the fault? I'm pulling the wiring apart right now, i have traced it up to the old EGR plug areas now it's on the way back towards the main harness, I'll let you know what I find. I pulled the connector by the EGR apart and tested the ground there too and got nothing.

Quick Reply: P0342 Cam position sensor low voltage