PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting my 409 to idle

Old 04-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my 409 to idle

Here is my problem: I put a 409 stroker into my car last year but kept the 4l60e tranny. After I put it in this kept happening: I would crank it up, if it is first thing in the mourn, then i have to give it gas for about 5 mins, once i was able to take my foot off it would idle at 700 rpms. then when i put it in reverse, If i was lucky, it would drop to about 4-500 rpms, if it wasnt a good day it would drop to 400 and then die. same would happen for drive. once i have been driving for a while it will steady out and the problem would go away. I have a 230/224 racing cam in it and my engine is a stroker, so i know its my cam that is causing this (I believe). I cant find out how to fix this problem, i thought it was the tranny at first thats why i went from the 4l60-e to the th350 but now i am pretty positive that it is the computer system. that is why I bought LS1 edit for the car. And if anyone knows how to work that program and is good with tweaking i would love some help. I have ls1edit and a ls6 injection. I tried looking at the sticky at the top of my page, but i dont know which i would change to fix this problem. thanks for any help.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

Strokers require a substantial amount of tuning for startup and idle. Even though that is a small cam for a stroker, I would raise the idle speed for both Park and Drive to at least 900 rpms. Then reduce the values in the lower VE table (0-1200 rpms) in 5% increments. You also need to increase the Desired Airflow in both Park and Gear. For startup; you can increase the values in Startup RPM Offset (adds rpm to startup based on coolant temp), increase the values in both the Startup Airflow Correction and Startup Airflow Correction tables. Depending on the timing, I would look at increasing spark in both Park and Drive. Every combination takes a different amount of adjusting, so you will have take your time between datalogging and tuning.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:22 AM
Launching!

thanks so much for the information. . . you helped me out SOoooooo much I appreciate it. thank you

Search this Thread