PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need a laptop to tune??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I really need a laptop to tune??

I just purchased Hp Tuners pro version and have been looking around for laptops, but it is really something I dont want to have to buy right now, Iv been putting way to much money into the car lately!! My question is doesnt the interface hook up to the computer via a usb cable??? I already have a 20 foot long usb cable, so why couldnt I just park the car outside my bedroom and run the usb cable out my window to my car??? The pro version says a laptop doesnt need to be present to scan, so I would only need the car hooked up to make calibration changes. Correct??? Sorry for the dumb question, just curious if this will work or not??
Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

You can tune without a laptop but it will limit your scanning abilities. If it's just to make basic changes, turning off codes, etc you'll be fine. You should definitely look into a cheap laptop soon if you want to get more involved with it. You aren't going to be able to scan a whole lot with it attatched to the house....
Old 04-30-2007, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

you could buy an AC/DC inverter and put your desktop in your car with you ...I bet you could find a cheap laptop with enough ram and Ghz to run the program and nothing else on it.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by brandtdavis
you could buy an AC/DC inverter and put your desktop in your car with you ....
Lol! I want to see that.

Closest we got to that was a POS laptop that had a broken keyboard.....had to use external keyboard/mouse. Had to use inverter because battery was crap too. It worked until I got my new one.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Maybe Im misunderstanding something, but I thought the pro version allowed you to datalog for like an hour and a half without a computer present??
Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasonscott
Maybe Im misunderstanding something, but I thought the pro version allowed you to datalog for like an hour and a half without a computer present??
correct, you will need to connect a computer to the hardware & vehicle to verify the vehicle & pid's, but after you've connected to it once it stores that info so you won't have a need to do it again.

-Bill
Old 04-30-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

i think ur talking about EFI live
Old 04-30-2007, 10:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
i think ur talking about EFI live
Who? The poster has already said he purchased hptuners, he asked questions about hptuners, I gave him answers about hptuners.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brandtdavis
you could buy an AC/DC inverter and put your desktop in your car with you ...I bet you could find a cheap laptop with enough ram and Ghz to run the program and nothing else on it.

Only thing with that is power consumption! Nothing again your idea but if you have any decent desktop you are looking at ...

60 watts, My flatscreen not CRT screen (120vpp*1.5a max)
300 tower's rating in my 4 year old computer. (peak)
So just say 210 watts. That going to be a pricey power inverter. I guess less than a craptop though!

I am pretty sure my plug in laptop power supply is ~~ 60-75 watts. Long story short it just seems like thats on the high end of what they produce for the average automotive power inverter unless you get one for an RV ect.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by foff667
Who? The poster has already said he purchased hptuners, he asked questions about hptuners, I gave him answers about hptuners.
ok, ok calm down, i guess the fire between u and EFI live is really hot, i didnt throughly read everyones post

my bad
Old 05-01-2007, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Only thing with that is power consumption! Nothing again your idea but if you have any decent desktop you are looking at ...

60 watts, My flatscreen not CRT screen (120vpp*1.5a max)
300 tower's rating in my 4 year old computer. (peak)
So just say 210 watts. That going to be a pricey power inverter. I guess less than a craptop though!

I am pretty sure my plug in laptop power supply is ~~ 60-75 watts. Long story short it just seems like thats on the high end of what they produce for the average automotive power inverter unless you get one for an RV ect.

I think im just gonna leave the PC in the house for now!!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just borrow a friends laptop for a few hours...