Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuners Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Tuners Inside!

I was just waundering if anyone new if you can tune out the traction control out of my 2001 Trans Am?It's pulling timing like crazy and I think I've read somewhere that this can't be tuned out.Is this true or is it possible to remove it all together? Traver
Old 05-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 'ASR' switch for traction control.......and i was under the impression
that if you don't have a switch, you don't have traction control.

Do you mean torque management?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:04 AM
9 Second Club

No......I have a traction control switch but it doesn't seem to work.As soon as I went back and disconected the 2 abs sensors from the back of the brake backing plates it wouldn't pull timimng anymore.Am I confused as to what is going on?Is this maybe torque managment coming on like you say?Traver
Old 05-04-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

the computer pulls timing if the TCS is on and you are spining the tires. Also could be torque management that is pulling timing. The PCM uses Torque management to limit the power to save the driveline. Both can be set to 0 with laptop based tuning like HPT.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:03 AM
9 Second Club

So you are saying the TCS system can be tuned out?I am aware of the torque management being tuned out but was told long ago that you are pretty much stuck with the TCS on these cars. Traver
Old 05-04-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

the TCS does 3 things when it activates. it tells the PCM retard the timing, It closes the throttle, and can even apply brakes. the only thing that is tunable with laptop based is the timing retard portion as that is the only part of it that is controlled by the PCM. The backing off throttle and applying brakes can't be tuned out because those are all different systems.

just taking a look at it now in HPT TCS uses 2 tables.. retard vs rpm and agressive retard vs RPM. I zeroed mine out a while ago so it doesn't retard any timimng at all which is nice because now when the TCS system does activate the car doens't just fall flat on its face like it used to.

Last edited by sixvi6-camaro; 05-04-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:49 AM
9 Second Club

Thank you for all your info!I think my tuner still has the torque management in my PCM yet not to mention the TCS.All he usually tunes is corvettes and does very few if any F-body's so it's just becoming a big hassle since his shop is so far from me.Thanks again!Traver
Old 05-04-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
the computer pulls timing if the TCS is on and you are spining the tires. Also could be torque management that is pulling timing. The PCM uses Torque management to limit the power to save the driveline. Both can be set to 0 with laptop based tuning like HPT.
check your switch and get it working. i reckon it can be set to 0 and basically turned off...
Old 05-04-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah for sure.. When I turn the switch off on mine it there is no TCS at all regardless of the tune. ramairws6 you should check the switch first to be sure its working. The light should come on on the dash when its dissabled.

If the TCS is off than that its probably torque management. There are both engine torque management and the transmission torque management tables.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

A long time ago I purchased the switch from Speed that changed the way the switch worked and now I can 't remember which way is off and which way is on.Traver
Old 05-04-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Probably is the Torque managment yet, Still was a bit funny after the ABS sensors where disconnected until it got into third then it pulled like a mother at 24* timing advance. Why this wasn't checked on the dyno and even after we requested it before we left the shop blows me away. Vettes STILL have A4's so its fustrating that he missed it.

Took it out with just autotap scanner and yea it pulls major timing on the launch l seen it dip down to -3.5* then bounce up to a whole 8* timing advance until we got going into third and then it was a solid 24*'s All while running 0 knock.

Its got issues yet but theres some major power there once it gets into third.

Last edited by speedo; 05-04-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 PM
9 Second Club

Well it's safe to say that my tuner is just plained stumped on this.We pretty well exhausted all avenues on the timing issues and it still pulls timing like crazy.We have the rest of the tune about perfect except for the timing issue.We have eliminated everything we could think of including unhooking the knock sensors just to see if they were the culprit.......not it.We have every table that pulls timing zeroed out and have all torque management removed.Also I have the Traction Control disabled and the abuse mode shut off.I am just about to throw up my hands on this one!!To me it's really starting to feel like it's a temperature related issue because if I leave it cool down for awhile and go out and log some runs it seems to be keeping timing at 24 degrees at WOT.......but as soon as it gets warm it goes to sh$$!If anyone has any ideas please HELP!!!! Traver
Old 06-05-2007, 10:24 PM
9 Second Club

Bump^^^
Old 06-05-2007, 11:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Well it's safe to say that my tuner is just plained stumped on this.We pretty well exhausted all avenues on the timing issues and it still pulls timing like crazy.We have the rest of the tune about perfect except for the timing issue.We have eliminated everything we could think of including unhooking the knock sensors just to see if they were the culprit.......not it.We have every table that pulls timing zeroed out and have all torque management removed.Also I have the Traction Control disabled and the abuse mode shut off.I am just about to throw up my hands on this one!!To me it's really starting to feel like it's a temperature related issue because if I leave it cool down for awhile and go out and log some runs it seems to be keeping timing at 24 degrees at WOT.......but as soon as it gets warm it goes to sh$$!If anyone has any ideas please HELP!!!! Traver

Have you logged for burst knock? It doesn't show up as KR but it pulls...
Old 06-05-2007, 11:40 PM
9 Second Club

Yes...we checked the burst knock out and changed it to pull 0 timing across the board.Like I said earlier it definatley feels like it's temp related.Is there any parameter we could be missing that pulls timing versus temp?Like say maybe something to do with the ECT?My next thought is that there is something in my PCM that we can't get to with LS1 Edit that we could maybe get to in EFI Live or HP Tuners.Not really verse on the tuning stuff yet.......but is this possible?My tuner is a well known tuner around here and theres no way he will let me show the file so this is outta the question.Traver
Old 06-06-2007, 06:44 AM
FormerVendor

There is another subtracter that pulls based on IAT...
Old 06-06-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ect...
Old 06-06-2007, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

Frost,is this other subtractor that pulls timing based on IAT available to see with the LS1 Edit or do I need EFI Live?Also I was told that there is no parameter for the ETC.....is this true?I thought maybe the PCM could pull timing based on the Temp through the ETC in the head.Traver

Last edited by ramairws6; 06-07-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:48 PM
FormerVendor

the table IS available in Edit...
Old 06-06-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you checked "B6611 Max Torque by Gear"? I think on A4 it's set around 360 ft lbs, about what the 4L60E can safely handle. If your calculated torque exceeds that value you will pull major timing - like around 18* or so.