Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pedal voltage Vs Pedal position

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pedal voltage Vs Pedal position

I have a problem that the pedal postion is not alway zero with no weight on the pedal. The pedal voltage was .46 with the engine off. Once the engine started the voltage when to .51 and the % read 1%. I then moved the pot so that the voltage .41 with no pedal. The Pedal % was 0 with the engine off. Once I started the engine pedal voltage when to .46 and the pedal read 1%. It looks to me like the pedal % changes to match the low voltage any time the car is started.

Does any know how the pedal handling work? What can I do to change the voltage to % vs voltage?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any help with this. Someone must know
Old 05-09-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need to recalibrate the TPS sensor. This can be done by disconnecting the TPS sensor connector. Then turn on the ignition, not the car. Verify the TPS fault code is thrown. Turn the car off, and reconnect the TPS connector. Turn the ignition on, not the car. This may solve your issue, it has worked for me a couple of times. Also verify that the throttle cable has some slack, and is not under tension. This can affect your TPS reading/position as well. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Yes GM knows that the electrical tolerances vary from TPS to TPS so the PCM learns what voltage is closed throttle and what voltage is WOT. When applying the brakes and upon startup the PCM knows that you shouldn't be applying the throttle so it takes this voltage whether it is .46v or .51v and associates it with a closed throttle reading. A couple of wide open throttle runs on the highway and your PCM associates the highest voltage as being WOT. So make sure none of your accelerator linkage is binding and you should be fine unless you throw a code.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 12secSS
You may need to recalibrate the TPS sensor. This can be done by disconnecting the TPS sensor connector. Then turn on the ignition, not the car. Verify the TPS fault code is thrown. Turn the car off, and reconnect the TPS connector. Turn the ignition on, not the car. This may solve your issue, it has worked for me a couple of times. Also verify that the throttle cable has some slack, and is not under tension. This can affect your TPS reading/position as well. Good luck!
I have tried this procedure before and with the car off the tps reads 0% and once the car is started it reads 0.4% or 0.8%. It just seems like no what I do I can't always get the tps to be 0% all the time when the throttle pedal is not depressed.