PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips/tricks to getting nice MAF curve after VE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any tips/tricks to getting nice MAF curve after VE?

I had this problem last year with HPT, where my VE would pretty much be dead on +/-2% error in all cells with a fairly smooth graph.

But my MAF tune afterwards (still in SD mode) would get some weird bumps along the graph. I would manually flatten, do another run, and boom, comes back again. This is using HPT's histograms.

How does everyone get thier plots very smooth with no bumps, but a nice exponential increase?
Old 05-11-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
But my MAF tune afterwards (still in SD mode) would get some weird bumps along the graph. I would manually flatten, do another run, and boom, comes back again. This is using HPT's histograms.
Well hell, that's one good way of not getting in line. If you are in SD mode and tuning the MAF, the ECM will ignore the input from the MAF, you will be pretty much doing nothing. You need to re-enable the MAF and use the AFR Error % logged against the MAF Table, while logging MAF Hz. Or you could plot the Dyn Air against the MAF Table to shape your MAF Curve before you enable the MAF. Another thing is try using Marcin's (redhardsupra) MAF spreadsheet to curve the graph, works pretty good. What are you using to re-curve the MAF Table (ie: Wideband, Dynamic Airflow, LTFTs)?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
But my MAF tune afterwards (still in SD mode) would get some weird bumps along the graph.
Did you mean Open Loop?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Well hell, that's one good way of not getting in line. If you are in SD mode and tuning the MAF, the ECM will ignore the input from the MAF, you will be pretty much doing nothing. You need to re-enable the MAF and use the AFR Error % logged against the MAF Table, while logging MAF Hz. Or you could plot the Dyn Air against the MAF Table to shape your MAF Curve before you enable the MAF. Another thing is try using Marcin's (redhardsupra) MAF spreadsheet to curve the graph, works pretty good. What are you using to re-curve the MAF Table (ie: Wideband, Dynamic Airflow, LTFTs)?

I am using a WB to tune the car.
Hmm, will have to double check this in HPT. I think it will do dyn air, which is why I have the MAF still disabled. The MAF graph gets fairly solid, its just those areas of bumps or hills should call it that don't flow with the rest. But even if it is logging in hz, it is still an accurate number comming through, it's just that the computer is not using the information from the MAF since it is failed out.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

I think he was saying he's logging MAF Hz vs. DYNAIR in SD (not MAF Hz vs. %AFR_Error with the MAF active) and that's creating a not so smooth MAF curve.

MAF Hz vs. Dyn Air is a starting point. After you get that, you should re-enable the MAF and log Hz vs %AFR_Error to dial it in.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I think he was saying he's logging MAF Hz vs. DYNAIR in SD (not MAF Hz vs. %AFR_Error with the MAF active) and that's creating a not so smooth MAF curve.

MAF Hz vs. Dyn Air is a starting point. After you get that, you should re-enable the MAF and log Hz vs %AFR_Error to dial it in.
I see, said the blind man.

I tend to go over the entire curve and analyze the new points, then hand smooth the old points based on the trend of the new points. Resulting in a smooth curve.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see, said the blind man.

I tend to go over the entire curve and analyze the new points, then hand smooth the old points based on the trend of the new points. Resulting in a smooth curve.
New points and old points? Not sure I follow this statement fully, as all the points on the graph will change at least a little bit, unless I missing a bigger picture?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, thank you. Sorry for being so vague, I don't have hpt in front of me at work, so cannot be very accurate in description in what I have been logging and such.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know much about HPT....but, I sort of do what George is talking about by using the compare feature in EFI Live. Basically, I load a stock file in the background and it'll show me the % difference between the current and the compared file. So, I can see the trend moving along the curve as far as differences from stock. Then, I make general adjustements to the range I'm working on. You could also create a simple sheet that does this in Excel. Paste in a stock MAF table and your current MAF table. Then, create an equation row that calculates ((current/stock)-1) for each Hz. Format those cells as a % and you have the same thing. That will help you see the patterns for the various MAF Hz ranges. Then, you can adjust/hand smooth as needed.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's easier than that. just use maffreq vs dynair scatter chart in excel, and use a 3rd order poly fitting. use the equation for that fit line to create the calibration values. that's it.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:58 PM

I use the AFR % error and it ends up perfect every time.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
it's easier than that. just use maffreq vs dynair scatter chart in excel, and use a 3rd order poly fitting. use the equation for that fit line to create the calibration values. that's it.

haha! You guys are so much more way advanced than I will ever be, esp in mathmatics

Do you have any scatter charts I could just plug in the info?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Can't you HPT guys adjust this realtime? Not to be an ***... It's just a honest question. All these charts and whatnot make my head hurt.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:46 PM

I dont remember if MAF is RTT, Im pretty sure it is.

With the MAF AFR % error, its just 2 clicks to adjust the curve. VERY easy.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Shoot, I just realized I am logging hz vs afr%.

I tried to figure out how to log dyn air vs maf but cannot figure out what needs to go where in order to get the proper information that I can just plug into the editor under maf frequency. Can anyone explain this part to me??

Quick Reply: Any tips/tricks to getting nice MAF curve after VE?