PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock engine and stock tune, drivability problems?

Old 05-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock engine and stock tune, drivability problems?

Engine is a 00 ls1/t56 out of a camaro, just headers/exhaust/ls6 intake/ported TB.

Alright, so I originally had a stock 00 tune that I just had jesse bubb take out the VATS and emissions stuff. The car starts up fine, idles good, and drives fine at really low throttle (<20%). When I try to press the gas more than that, it just feels like its cutting out, and sometimes bucks and surges a bit, it still accelerates, but it just gets really weak when I'm pushing the gas harder. At full throttle it runs pretty decent, perhaps a bit low on power, but nothing major.

I've since gotten EFI live and loaded a stock 99 tune migrated to the 02 operating system that I downloaded off holden crazy. Tune is stock besides removing emissions, gear ratio change, fan change and stuff like that.

I had an innovate LC1 that has been acting up on me for awhile, I think it needs a new sensor, so I just ordered a plx because I've never much liked the innovate to begin with...still waiting on receiving it, so no wideband now.

No codes are coming up, can't find any vac leaks, plugs look alright - a bit lean if anything. I'm just looking for ideas on what I can change to fix this seeing as I don't know how much longer I'll be waiting on the wideband. Is there anything I could be looking for in my logs, or any blanket adjustments I should try that might at least clear it up so I can drive it without it feeling like ****? Is there a good way to figure out if its a fuel or ignition problem?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say the engine is stock out of a Camaro, whats it in now? A heavier car will require different tuning parameters than what that engine was tuned for. Also, it may just need a solid tune. I had issues like that when I installed longtubes on an otherwise stock 98 Z28....

Id start with scanning and cleaning up the VE tables
Old 05-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Its in a <3000lbs rx7 with a 4.10 final drive...does have longtubes, so I know the tune will need at least a little work, but I'm waiting on the wideband for that.

How can I clean up the VE tables without a wideband?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

So I've been using the fuel trims to tune the VE table, and they are getting closer. Should I have the MAF off while I'm looking at the fuel trims or can I just watch them and make changes based on that?

Although most of the fuel trims are getting close to +/- 5% the car isn't running much differently...guess maybe I need to look elseware for problems...voltage is at around 13.3v at idle and the battery keeps getting low, so that could very well have something to do with the stumbles and roughness
Old 05-18-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Go to the stickies and read through the tuning docs, they will tell you how to tune the VE table
Old 05-18-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Along the same lines, I have read through the docs. They instruct the user to unplug the MAF and do SD tuning. I have been working on this. However, they never say when to plug the MAF back in. I asked the question here before and never got an answer. When do you plug the MAF back in?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Along the same lines, I have read through the docs. They instruct the user to unplug the MAF and do SD tuning. I have been working on this. However, they never say when to plug the MAF back in. I asked the question here before and never got an answer. When do you plug the MAF back in?

I'm confused as to why I should be running without the MAF in the first place. Once I fix the charging problem I'll try to flatten the LTFTs again, in SD.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
You plug the MAF back in after you get the VE tuned. You then have to tune the MAF.

Originally Posted by rosey
I'm confused as to why I should be running without the MAF in the first place. Once I fix the charging problem I'll try to flatten the LTFTs again, in SD.
If you do anything to change the airflow, you have skewed the MAF and it is sending false information to the PCM. Something as simple as a K & N filter will do this. The MAF settings are based on the complete stock intake and exhaust system. Once you add less restrictive intake parts, porting, headers, mufflers, etc. the MAF has to be tuned.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2000c-5
You plug the MAF back in after you get the VE tuned. You then have to tune the MAF...
Thank you. Do I then tune the MAF using the MAF calibrate table? I would think that I would leave the VE tables alone at that point.

Search this Thread