Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 to 02 PCM

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 98 to 02 PCM

I'm currently in the middle of this swap and would like to start working on the tune. Today I was comparing my 98 tune to a 02 tune and noticed that many of the tables were different. Now do I have to migrate any table that is different from my tune to the later tune? Are there any tables that I can just leave alone? What about the tables that use different parameters in the columns/rows? For example, the Spark IAT Table. In my 98 tune the column is in kPa while the 02 tune uses grams/cylinder. Any help is appreciated!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

If your car is stock, just start with a 2001-2002 camaro program. Then just fine tune it from there. It shouldnt be that far off. Just make sure the injector flow rate data is moved over and you turn off Vats.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the response and the quick shipment of the PCM. I think it's time to update my signature because I haven't done so since I joined this site. My car is definitely not stock and almost a full bolt-on car. I'm going to copy over my injector and timing tables and tune it from there. Why do you recommend I turn off VATS?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did the swap go for you??
Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

It's taking a little longer then I planned. I'm actually not quite done yet as I still need to repin the connectors. My first attempt at repinning didn't turn out so well. I ended up with a big mess of wires and a connector that would definitely not reach the PCM. Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

check out my how to... not trying to big stuff but a suggestion no the less
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/711711-98-formula-pcm-99-pcm.html

Now you should have a whole **** ton of wires with flags. It is best to group them in C-1 and C-2 fashion so you have 2 separate harnesses. You will also notice that a few wires are really short. You need to lengthen them, preferably with the same color wire so you don't mix them up. I also strongly suggest that you solder and shrink wrap these splices (butt connectors and tape is not gonna get it).
Once you have 2 separate harnesses and are happy with the length of the wires start stabbing them in.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

I didn't have to lengthen any wires. I just pulled all of them one by one labeling where it came from and where it was going and "combed" out the rats nest of wires until I got all of the newly assigned blues and reds grouped together.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Regular

bump.... tuning swap?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

I used EFI Live and a Road Runner running Custom Operating system #5.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

I finally had a chance today to finish up the wiring. Here's what I plan to do next:

- Program PCM with 12212156 operating system and 02 calibration with a few tables migrated from my 98 tune

- Change VIN

- Validate PIDs

- Start it up and see if theres any DTCs

Does this look good or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You didn't say what tuner you are using, but if you are using HP Tuners, you can't program a 98 VIN into a 02 OS. It breaks their licensing scheme. Don't know if EFI Live will let you.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

I'm using EFILive.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
You didn't say what tuner you are using, but if you are using HP Tuners, you can't program a 98 VIN into a 02 OS. It breaks their licensing scheme. Don't know if EFI Live will let you.

Hmmm good question...anyone?
Old 05-28-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

I had to upgrade my license to do the full push.

First thing I did was grab a stock tune and compare my old system to old stock - all parameters. I noted all the ones that were the same as stock and tried to make sure I knew what they were for. Kept notes on all the parameters. Then using the new system, all the ones that were stock in the old I left stock in the new, all the ones that were different I copied over to the new system.

After that, a little fine tuning on things like throttle follower, etc. and it all worked great.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DaddySS
I had to upgrade my license to do the full push.

First thing I did was grab a stock tune and compare my old system to old stock - all parameters. I noted all the ones that were the same as stock and tried to make sure I knew what they were for. Kept notes on all the parameters. Then using the new system, all the ones that were stock in the old I left stock in the new, all the ones that were different I copied over to the new system.

After that, a little fine tuning on things like throttle follower, etc. and it all worked great.

No problem with the 98 VIN into the new PCM? I ordered one for my 98, the guy said he would program the VIN for me, when I gave him my VIN he said the computer would not accept it. Obviously the car will run so I am getting it anyway. Just like to know before I go nuts trying
Old 05-28-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

That didn't turn out so well. I couldn't connect to the PCM and received the following message:

"EFILive cannot communicate with the PCM.

Disconnect the Scan Tool if it is connected.

Please turn off the ignition, check all cables and connections, then turn the ignition back on and try"

I tried connecting several times but ended up with the same result. I noticed that when I turned the key to the on position, the fuel pump would not prime like it normally would. I could also hear clicking noises coming from the fuse boxes in the engine compartment. I turned the ignition off and started checking the fuses. I found that the PCM BAT fuse was blown. I had a couple extra fuses laying around so I decided to replace it. Right as I was pushing the fuse back into place, it blew again. So I disconnected the battery, removed the connectors from the PCM and checked all of my wiring again. Everything checked out and now I have no idea what to do next. Any ideas?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
And that's a pity. EFI Live swaps the VIN no problem. Custom OS's are free also. Let's see, want the 98 dash to be fully functional without any hardware upgrades (fuel sending unit, Instrument cluster) EFI Live does that as well with the ability to swap calibration segments. And to begin, with EFI Live allows you to license 98 OS's for free(you will have to license a newer pcm when you swap). So who is really looking out for the 97/98 crowd? For 95 bucks (plus the pin swap) you can upgrade your 98 to a fully functional Custom OS that has all of the newer GM OS features, plus all of the EFI Live Custom OS features for one price. Hmmm....
Old 05-29-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Shallow Bay
You have a short in that circuit. I would try disconnecting the PCM harness then re-insert the fuse, if it does not blow then your problem is either the PIN positions, or the PCM itself. If it blows then the problem is the harness
Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zapp168
Shallow Bay
You have a short in that circuit. I would try disconnecting the PCM harness then re-insert the fuse, if it does not blow then your problem is either the PIN positions, or the PCM itself. If it blows then the problem is the harness
I appreciate the advice. It definitely sent me in the right direction. I finally have things figured out.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Shallow Bay
I appreciate the advice. It definitely sent me in the right direction. I finally have things figured out.
So what was the reason for the blowing fuses? PCM or harness?