Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning for Readiness

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning for Readiness

First, thanks to ZL1Killa for his work on helping the pcm meet its readiness tests in OBDII. His work and others have saved me a lot of work myself.

EFI Live:
As I understand it, with EFI Live there are two tabs under which you have to make changes to have the readiness tests come up as complete - Engine Diag DTC and Engine DTC MIL status (or similar to that). The precise changes required have been discussed in other threads. Essentially though, you set up the DTCs Not to Report, and then in a separate tab you set it to No MIL.

HP Tuners and LS1 Edit:
I'm trying to mimic this with LS1 Edit and HP Tuners (I use both). In both these platforms though, I can only find one tab in which to modify the DTCs. I can set it to (3 or X) Not be Reported, or I can set it to (2) No MIL. But I cannot do both, as EFI Live appears to do.

Does anyone know if there is another table I am missing, or if in both Edit and HP, the extra table isn't necessary and the one tab fully makes the changes?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HPT has it, but it is a check box next to the dropdown mode for "error mode" The older versions had it as well.

However, if my understanding is correct, if you have no error reported, the ses light should not come on, regardless of the mil enable function.

Ryan
Old 05-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Thanks Ryan. I'll try and test that.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Launching!

I don't have access to the HP Tuners cable right now, so I couldn't try that.

But, I tried with LS1 Edit, and based on my Atap scans, none of the readiness tests were complete.

LS1 Edit does have a DTC page where I set all the appropriate DTCs to "X: Not Reported", and set the "Does error set SES" to "ON", and based on what I've read others do (through search), that is supposed to work. But not based on my scans. The 8 or so Readiness tests all come up as Incomplete (my battery died awhile back and the car is in storage, so no drive cycles to complete any tests). These are the Oxygen sensor test, Oxygen heater test, EGR test, etc...

Is there something I'm missing here?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Well, I'm solving my own problems.

For some reason, Autotap's reading of the Readiness Tests is "faulty" in some way. No matter what I do, it still shows all tests as incomplete. Fiurst I thought I messed up my tune.

Fortunately my friend passed on his HP Tuner's cable to me, and upon scanning with that, I find that it shows all tests (except EVAP... buts that another story I think) are Complete. I never changed any EVAP tests, which likely explains that.

So, my Autotap readings are faulty.

Good thing I double checked. Not sure if this info will help others, but I definitely found tuning for the readiness tests quite simple with both Edit and HP. Very helpful when your battery just died and you have to go in for emissions the next day... lol!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

When tuned out some of my emissions stuff I used LS1 Edit to set the codes to not report (basically say it isn't a problem that the stuff isn't there.)

However, I don't believe there is a way to actually flip the test status to complete without just going through the GM drive cycle. I know it took a while to get them all to flip but when they do Atap will report it correctly.

If it is able to just flip the test status to complete then someone tell me how
Old 05-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Johnny5
When tuned out some of my emissions stuff I used LS1 Edit to set the codes to not report (basically say it isn't a problem that the stuff isn't there.)

However, I don't believe there is a way to actually flip the test status to complete without just going through the GM drive cycle. I know it took a while to get them all to flip but when they do Atap will report it correctly.

If it is able to just flip the test status to complete then someone tell me how
Yes, you can flip it to complete - if I understand your comments correctly. Thats precisely what I did. In Edit, you set the DTCs to not report, and keep the "Does error set SES?" option toggled on. Everything goes to Complete instantly without starting the car up.

I know I have tried the drive cycles, and it is too much of a pain in the *** for me to do. Ten minutes of tuning does it far quicker.

In my case, Atap would not show it complete, but VCM Scanner does. Being my Atap is version 2.1, and 5+ years old, that might explain that problem.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaro ChriSS
Yes, you can flip it to complete - if I understand your comments correctly. Thats precisely what I did. In Edit, you set the DTCs to not report, and keep the "Does error set SES?" option toggled on. Everything goes to Complete instantly without starting the car up.

I know I have tried the drive cycles, and it is too much of a pain in the *** for me to do. Ten minutes of tuning does it far quicker.

In my case, Atap would not show it complete, but VCM Scanner does. Being my Atap is version 2.1, and 5+ years old, that might explain that problem.
Any idea the exact DTC you changed?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:21 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Here is the screen you are talking about in HP Tuners.
Attached Thumbnails Tuning for Readiness-capture.jpg  
Old 08-27-2009, 06:16 PM
9 Second Club

Default Hpt

Double click on "Error Mode" & you get a drop down

Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro ChriSS

Wow! I love seeing correct info. It is refreshing for a change.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Well I got mine to pass today. I went into the DTC in HP Tuner. I changed anything that said 02 or catalyst to 3 NO ERROR REPORTS and clicked SES ENABLE (selected the box).

Soon as I flashed it - all green!

Car is registered

Last edited by valdeztke; 08-31-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

Sticky anyone? This question is a frequent one...
Old 08-29-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Tightwads
Sticky anyone? This question is a frequent one...
The site could have potential legal liabilities on this issue. It definitely won't get stickied.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

should definately change the name on this thread to passing emissions. would have saved me two days of headaches. glad i found this thread
Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 PM

Can some one please tell me if there is any other software(preferable free) to set selected codes to not report and which can work with a generic scanner such as 'Crescent USB OBD2/EOBD Multi-Protocol Car Diagnostic Tool Auto Scanner'. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I already spent a lot of time searching without success and my inspection is due soon.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

is my thread still around with the tables?

Free software.... go for LS1edit if you can even still find it. doubt its free.

considering HPTuners and EFILIVE own the market for these cars basically, and in order to "hack" these cars computers like this you gotta have a crew or one hell of a knowledgeable person... so best guess on this is no freebie. Find a friend maybe with credits or etc?

Where are you located?

I need to go through EFI LIVE AGAIN and HPTUNERS for my first time and post up how to get past emissions readiness crap
Old 09-21-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

And it's a dead give away when it PASSES immediately if the people doing the testing would take a little time to check..... But good for everyone here they are not that smart.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

^ now that's funny
Old 09-22-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DynoDR
And it's a dead give away when it PASSES immediately if the people doing the testing would take a little time to check..... But good for everyone here they are not that smart.
Very funny.

Now I ask when they read it does it really quickly show up as all ready?
the question I then ask is say you don't do this (or don't need to) as you have driven your car time and time again without messing with the computer and all your tests are ok..... I would presume it would all show up as ready also

Quick Reply: Tuning for Readiness