Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Spark, Won't Crank

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Spark, Won't Crank

I have done several searches and I think my problem may be the crank position sensor, but I'm throwing this out in hope of some fresh ideas. Here is my predicament:

I drove my car, a stock 1999 SS, leisurely across town today. A couple of hours later, when I went to start it to come back home, it would not start. It would turn over strong but that was all.

After coming back with some tools, I started trying to troubleshoot. The problem is that there is no spark. Admittedly, I only checked the driver's side front plug with a brand new plug held against the valve cover, but I assume that no cylinder is getting a spark because the engine does not attempt to "hit" while being started. Also, after not having a spark I didn't do any checks on the fuel system.

I pulled and checked all of the fuses. I pulled and reseated all of the relays. I have a hand held scanner, the PCM has no stored codes. I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes. This is not a key issue because the manual states that the starter will not turn over if that were the case. I even tried to start the car while being jumped, still with the same result.

So the car is still sitting across town, anybody got any ideas?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the inj 1 and 2 fuses with a test light. can you read B codes? look at the data stream does it show vtd fuel disable? do you have an rpm reading on the scanner? i would not completly count out the vtd they don't always work the way gm says.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sreve
check the inj 1 and 2 fuses with a test light. can you read B codes? look at the data stream does it show vtd fuel disable? do you have an rpm reading on the scanner? i would not completly count out the vtd they don't always work the way gm says.
I checked all the fuses. My scanner only reads OBD II codes, no data stream or RPM's. I have two keys for the car and I took the second one back for troubleshooting.

I am really in a dilemma over having the car hauled to my house, or to a shop. I would very much prefer to fix it myself, but if I can't then I've wasted a rollback fee to have the car hauled to a shop then. And there's the fact that the car can't sit across town where it's at indefinately.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

if I were you I'd have insurance tow it to a dealership. There's a member on ls1.com who's got the same problem in their t/a. I think its strange
Old 05-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Default Update

Problem solved!

The starter relay and the ignition relay are the same part # so I swapped them out and the engine would no longer turn over. Installed a new relay and the car cranked right up. Less than $10 for the relay and no towing bill, what a Blessing!