Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning?

ok guys maybe this is in one of the many sticky's but I would just like to know what is the best/most efficient way to learn tuning methods? I would like to learn, since I am a do it yourselfer' but I want to know who to learn from. Shoul I just go to people that have a shop close to me and ask? or maybe take some classes at UTI or a place comperable?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2007, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

oh by the way I refer to myself as very technically/mechanically sufficient so if you spout out words I dont know I will look them up to get the meaning not ask more questions.

Thanks again!!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pick a tuning suite (HPTuners, EFILive) and then go to the respective forum and sped hours reading everything. The best thing that you can do first and foremost is to learn the acronyms as you wont understand a damn thing that you are reading until you know what all of the clusters of random letters stand for .

After that, I suggest breaking up the tuning into sections and learn one before you go on to the next. All of the How-to write ups are written this way. The mistake that some people make is to just follow the guide without understanding what the values that you are looking at represent. This will help more and more as you get in deeper so as to understand all of the relationships between the different sections (tables). If you try to grasp it all in one shot, it will be overwhelmng. Plan on spending lots of hours researching and lots of money on gas driving around and scanning and making changes. It will be frustrating but that is what thins the heard and allows people to make money at it.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Jump in with both feet. Buy HPTuner or EFILive (both excellent tuning platforms) and start screwing around. Get familiar with the software. Live on the respective software forum and on the tuning forum here. Read the faqs and writeups in the stickies.

Learning what the PCM is really doing and why is the single biggest step IMO when it comes to learning how to tune. Once you have a grasp of that you can start making informed decisions about what parameters to change, and how much, to achieve the desired effect.