Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle fuel flow

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Idle fuel flow

I was reading a writeup a while back that explained how you could lower your idle fuel flow. I haven't been able to find it with the search and i was wondering if anybody else may have seen it. I was in the middle of looking for something else when I ran across and lost track of it. Has anyone else seen this?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody seen this????
Old 06-11-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it even possible to lower your fuel flow and still make good power?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do you mean by lower idle fuel flow? you dont really get to decide on how much fuel it needs. it needs what it needs, dependent on laws of physics and chemical properties of air and fuel. the only way to 'lower' fuel consumption at idle is to fiddle with rpm and idle spark so it creates the lowest MAP at idle, as that indicates the lowest airmass, thus it has to be matched to the lowest amount of fuel required to operate properly. most of the time with the fuel systems we have we deal with the opposite, we dump too much fuel because injectors we use have a higher minimal pulse width than what a normally idling car would need. at this point we're forced to raise rpm to the point where the air consumed matches well to the minimal possible amount of fuel that injectors at given fuel pressure can do.

still, what does idle fuel flow has to do with 'good power'?
Old 06-12-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
what do you mean by lower idle fuel flow? you dont really get to decide on how much fuel it needs. it needs what it needs, dependent on laws of physics and chemical properties of air and fuel. the only way to 'lower' fuel consumption at idle is to fiddle with rpm and idle spark so it creates the lowest MAP at idle, as that indicates the lowest airmass, thus it has to be matched to the lowest amount of fuel required to operate properly. most of the time with the fuel systems we have we deal with the opposite, we dump too much fuel because injectors we use have a higher minimal pulse width than what a normally idling car would need. at this point we're forced to raise rpm to the point where the air consumed matches well to the minimal possible amount of fuel that injectors at given fuel pressure can do.

still, what does idle fuel flow has to do with 'good power'?
This is true Supra, I'm only looking for the thread that had this info in it. I'm not saying if this was possible or not. I was looking to see who posted it.
This caught my eye a few weeks ago and I have not been able to find it again. I was looking for something else when I stumbled across it, just didn't get the chance to finish reading it through. Do you know who posted it?

Last edited by SuperC1; 06-12-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was looking through some idle searches when I saw somebody hijacked the thread and jumped in and said you can lower your fuel flow by reducing timing and some other factors at idle, but I can't find it anymore. It was an unrelated topic so it doesn't pull up when you search for it. It had something to do with idle and surging. But I skipped it somehow. Just wanted to finish checking it out. It may have been on another board.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably christian and losls2 talking about surging, it's on hpt board i think
Old 06-12-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can tune for OL @ idle using PE mode and then run it lean. This is mostly used for larger cams with lots of overlap, which render your NBO2s pretty much useless. Is this the article you were talking about?

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5585