Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Tuner For My Needs??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Tuner For My Needs??

Before I start, thanks to anyone who will take the time to help me w/ my question.

Just recently purchased a 99 Z that I was wanting to start modifying. I pretty much have a goal in mind of producing a street friendly 400 RWHP. I know with the LS1 that this is easily attainable. The list of planned non chasis mods are below.

TSP True Duals
Pacesetter Headers (Non Emissions)
K&N FIPK (Came on the car)
3:73 Gear
SF 2500 Stall
LS6 Mani
Patriot Heads
Crane Cam
80mm TB

I had ordered the Crane Cams Power max tuner, because it had most of the things I was looking for. I had it overnighted for today and went to use it and apparently Crane does not support certain production months of 1998 which included my build date of 8/98. What I am looking for in reprograming my PCM is ease of use and multiple features. I have had expieriance w/ some tuning software on the market with my other vehicles, but most of what I see available for the LS (HP, LS1 Edit, EFI Live) leave me sitting here wide eyed and totally confused. I get lost at this Xs that + This type software. What I am looking for is the following.

Control of tourqe management
EGR Delete
Idle control
Rear O2 Delete
AIR delete
Abuse Mode Delete
Ratio Change
Ignition timing control
Top Speed Limiter
Trans Shift timing
Trans Pressure Control
Fan Control
TCS Control

What I like about the Crane Powermax is that I could throw in one of there cams and have a preset program to work with. U guys tell me what u think will give me the control of the above mentioned.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Consider starting here https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/368718-read-me-best-ls1-tuning-software-best-scanner-best-handheld.html both hptuners & efilive will do what your looking for.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consider starting here https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368718 both hptuners & efilive will do what your looking for.
I hit this link up first.. I have always been interested in the HP tuners software and actually was behind the push to have the software developed for the Chevy 4cyl apps when I was an active member of Jbody.org. It just seems like I would have to hire bill gates to stand beside me to walk me through what is happening on the screen compared to what I am actually tryin to achieve. I have found interest in EFI Live because of the handheld option. My lap top is way outdated and could barely run MSD Pro Data software. I just wish I had more in depth info on EFI Live and maybe some screen shots like the HP site.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup there are definitly advantages to both systems including Real Time Tuning with nearly all of our custom operating systems, tons of vehicle support including Ford support with dodge soon to follow, tune up to 4 vehicles with your initial purchase, etc.

-Bill