Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buy software or have shop tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buy software or have shop tune

hi first i would like to say that this site help me out a bunch.i am 17 years old and i bought a 98 z28 A4 last year for only 1500 with a blown motor.i replaced the motor with on from a 01 ss. the motor has a tsp 231/237 cam, ls6 intake ported throtle body,stock 98 injectors ,header and catback.yank 3600 stall and trans go shift kit .now its time to get a tune i would like some input on if it would be a good idea to do it myself mined u that i did the all the work on the car myself with some help from dad.i was thinking hp tuners.what other items would i need to tune it.how hard is it.im willing to learn and have patience i just need to figure out what i want to do becuase i want to drive my car
Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 PM
FormerVendor

You have decide how much effort you want to put into it. If you decide to learn how to tune it, it will be an interesting, and rewarding (possibly frustrating - depending on your perspective) journey.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

anyone eles can help me out
Old 06-21-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to decide how much it is worth to you. It takes a lot of time to learn how to tune it correctly (personal experience). But it is rewarding. OTOH, if you took it to a quality tuner, you could be going almost immediately.
Personally, if you have the funds, I would find a tuner, find out what s/w he uses, and purchase that package. Then I would capture the stock tune and save it. Have it tuned, then capture his tune. Compare the settings of the new tune to the stock one, and it will give you a large heads-up on what parameters need to be fiddled with. This is the approach that I am taking.
JMO, YMMV.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have someone else tune it, make sure you do as many mods as possible first.
if your going to do alot of mods one at a time just get a tuning tool,
i noticed you have a 98 so you can get efi live and not use a license and then sell it for top value when your done.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought EFILive and really like learning how to tune on my daily driver.
Go with the software IMO. You will also need a cheap notebook and a WideBank O2.

Bill
Old 06-24-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you wrench on your own car, and if you want to learn more about how it works, buy software, you'll never regret it...