Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle question

this is kind of an odd question. when i first start my car up, it sounds really choppy and lopey, from a cold or warm start either one. i love that sound. after i run it awhile, it starts to sound smoother ...still like cam but not as choppy. why does it do this? is there anything i can tune and tweak to make it keep sounding like that all the time?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FL Junkie
this is kind of an odd question. when i first start my car up, it sounds really choppy and lopey, from a cold or warm start either one. i love that sound. after i run it awhile, it starts to sound smoother ...still like cam but not as choppy. why does it do this? is there anything i can tune and tweak to make it keep sounding like that all the time?
less base timing, leaner mixture, and a lower RPM will get it running rough for you. Timing is the main one though
Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Exactly, initial timing is only in the low teens just after startup. You should be able to get that thing to idle just fine at 850rpm with about 23~24* of timing. Anything more and you'll get deceleration surging when DFCO isn't active.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

heres my tune if you can look at it...also having other issues...

are you talking about spark advance under "in drive, in park"? which one do i change and how much should i lower the timing?
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
MATT Z28.hpt (458.7 KB, 169 views)
Old 07-26-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

well the attachment didnt work try here...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13470
Old 07-26-2007, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

my car did kind of the same thing. just sounded like it lost its lope after a couple minutes. mine ended up being the timing overspeed underspeed correction. that **** was rythmically jumping from like 15 to 35 degrees trying to keep the idle perfectly at 900, so I cranked the over and underspeed correction way down and it helped out alot.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jasonscott
my car did kind of the same thing. just sounded like it lost its lope after a couple minutes. mine ended up being the timing overspeed underspeed correction. that **** was rythmically jumping from like 15 to 35 degrees trying to keep the idle perfectly at 900, so I cranked the over and underspeed correction way down and it helped out alot.

ok thanks. how far down?