Sponsored by:

OL SD, problems adjusting timing w/ efilive

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OL SD, problems adjusting timing w/ efilive

this car has no maf.

the only way i can adjust timing above 4k rpms is by the table that sets the lowest timing limit...

i cant use the high or low octane tables when WOT nor can i adjust timing by ECT or by IAT...

i really need the IAT factor since its blown

im not sure why but any help would be appreciated...
Old 07-19-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

I had a similar issue when I was tuning a friend's car on the dyno. I flashed it upwards of 10 times and no matter what it wanted to run 25 degrees of timing. I had the high and low timing tables set the same and it wasn't hitting the values.

Eventually a few weeks later I was playing with the car and it finally took. I was wondering if it was because I didn't fully disconnect (i.e. close out of) the scanner before I flashed the new tune. That's the only thing I could think of as to why it wouldn't take the new numbers. Seems to take the new stuff ok now though. Don't know if I'll ever know the answer. But, just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I have had similar problems when one of the sensors on the motor isn't reading properly.

ie: The TPS won't read past 11%....... stuff like that.

Check and make sure all of the sensors are reading 'normal': TPS, ECT, IAT, RPM etc...

You can also try doing a full write back to stock and see if the problem persists.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I had a similar issue when I was tuning a friend's car on the dyno. I flashed it upwards of 10 times and no matter what it wanted to run 25 degrees of timing. I had the high and low timing tables set the same and it wasn't hitting the values.

Eventually a few weeks later I was playing with the car and it finally took. I was wondering if it was because I didn't fully disconnect (i.e. close out of) the scanner before I flashed the new tune. That's the only thing I could think of as to why it wouldn't take the new numbers. Seems to take the new stuff ok now though. Don't know if I'll ever know the answer. But, just thought I'd throw that out there.
SSpdDmon there is a min timing advance table in HPT that im pretty sure efilive has...we've seen a few people have xx amount of timing advance in this table that often gets overlooked and means your timing will never go under that amount. Thats where I would check first

Old 07-19-2007, 01:06 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
SSpdDmon there is a min timing advance table in HPT that im pretty sure efilive has...we've seen a few people have xx amount of timing advance in this table that often gets overlooked and means your timing will never go under that amount. Thats where I would check first

right... right now its 15* from 4k up and thats what it sees as soon as it hits the 4k rpm....

i can scan IAT's and ECT's and scan the timing to see what its actually doing but i cant seam to change it.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Did you log burst knock to make sure that's not pulling your timing?

foff - It was odd...I kept reflashing the car on the dyno and it wouldn't take. Two weeks later when messing around on the street....it took. Go figure? I looked into the minimum timing and it wasn't reverting to that. I was commanding 27~28* and it was running 25*. The only explanation I could come up with after staring at every table for 2+hours was I had the scanner open/connected to the PCM in the background when trying to reflash on the dyno.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

foff - It was odd...I kept reflashing the car on the dyno and it wouldn't take. Two weeks later when messing around on the street....it took. Go figure? I looked into the minimum timing and it wasn't reverting to that. I was commanding 27~28* and it was running 25*. The only explanation I could come up with after staring at every table for 2+hours was I had the scanner open/connected to the PCM in the background when trying to reflash on the dyno.
Yeah, I mean the only other thing you could've done was log all of the spark mpid's so you could see what was going on.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:42 PM
7 Second Club

i logged KR... is there a difference btw that and BK?
Old 07-19-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, BKR is pulled when delta air is greater than a certain flow/sec
Its under the knock tables though.

When logging it might not show as KR as KR is from detected knock. BKR is EXPECTED knock which often is a total waste of time. Most often the BKR tables are zero'd out.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

I'm using OS5 and I am having trouble with my spark advance can't figure out how it gave me 34* advance @ 6k WOT TPS reading 100% ?? How does it calculate what your advance should be with no MAF? Its like it was running off B5392 base spark in gear.