Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP tuners VE tunning questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HP tuners VE tunning questions.

i'm done doing heads/cam to my car (see sig.) and i want to tune it my self. i read the 101 tunning (HP tuners) in the sticky and i have some questions :

for VE tunning what i need to change MAF frequency or MAF air flow beside changing the VE table accordingly to bring fuel trims inline? i know i have to log the PCM and obtain : mass air flow frequency, mass air flow in g/sec, TP (? what is TP), dynamic cylinder air and fuel trims i know i have to log the PCM to see which areas of the MAF need changing but are these AREAS the MAF frequency or MAF air flow?

any one can explain the VE tunning for HP tuners more than i read in the 101 document?

horist or members who know about this, need your help.

thanks for help.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well when you first begin to tune the car you will be in open loop speed density. you can do it with a wideband or fuel trims, but the wideband will be WAY way more acurrate than the fuel trims and you cant really tune wot with fuel trims. also when using a w/b it will be easier cuz you can just copy the w/b error log and multiply directly to the ve. you will do your logging and make changes to the ve over and over untill they are very close to 0 error. once the ve is inline you connect your maf leave it in open loop and log maf hertz and make changes to maf vs frequency table untill your error is close to 0 agian. once done you go back to closed loop and your ltft should be back to 0 to -4 range. tp means throttle position

Last edited by 6-Speed Terror; 07-19-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

6-Speed Terror, can you explain more in steps on what exactly i have to do to tune the VE's with wide band system?

what i understand from what you said that i have to be in speed density mode when i begin to tune that is i unplug the MAF and disable the P0101,P0102 and P0103 SES codes then i have to tune the VE's , how i do that? i need to know tunning VE's using wide band in full steps and explaination? which tables i have to change in HP tuners? which parameters i have to log using the HP scanner?

i know that my LTFT should be between 0 and -4 or maybe -5 to not cause rich condition at WOT if i have positive LTFT.

also when i connect the MAF how do i be in openloop what i have to do to be in openloop when i connect the MAF?

last question, when i log the MAF frequency and i want to make changes to the MAF vs. frequency table, do i change the MAF frequency itself? and how do i know that my error is close to 0 (zero)? is there some thing in the scanner that show that error percentage in the tuned MAF vs. frequency table in HP tuners?

honstly i didn't by the HP tuners until now but i will soon, so when i buy the HP tuners maybe the things will more obvious.

thanks for help.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This should help you get started

http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...to_user_sd.htm
Old 07-20-2007, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that link up there will definatly get you started that is what i used it really helped out it shows you how to go to open loop there and you just keep it like that when you connect the maf, after you finish tuning it will explain which parameters to change back to stock numbers. once you have hptuners things will fall into place, and make more sence. when you scan or log your runs you will actually have a ve error graph that is already made that you will go by then copy and paste the error on to the ve file. you will also have a ve- maf error graph that will record and tell you when your error is close to zero. you will have to make custom made PID's if you will be using the basic hptuners and logging trough egr or a/c pressure sensor. if you will be using the pro you can connect the w/b directly to the side of the unit.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the replies.

when i need help i will let you know.

thanks.