PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 edit shift points with 4.11 gears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 edit shift points with 4.11 gears?

About a month ago I had FLT rebuild my tranny that I purchased from them a couple years ago. My car is a weekend - summer car and does't get driven alot. My first one lasted about 5000 miles before I started having problems. I only went to the track about 5 times total. Yes I do have a tranny cooler.

So that they would stand behind it better than the last time (long story) I had FLP install it. This time around I payed an additional $150 for them to reprogram my shift points. I asked for them to have it shift at 6500 rpm's and the rev limiter to 6700 rpm's. (It has 4.11 gears) When I took it to the track it shifted between 5500 & 6000 rpm's depending on which gear.

I called them to ask what they set it to and it took two weeks for them to get back with me. When I finnally got them to reply, they said that they set it as follows: 1st to 2nd shift RPM was 6300 and 1st to 2nd mph was 30. 2nd to 3rd shift rpm was 6300 and 2nd to 3rd mph was 60.

When I calulate the speed from 1st to 2nd gear at 6300 rpm's I get 38 mph and when I calculate the speed for 2nd to 3rd gear at 6300 rpm's I get 73 mph. I guess I can see why it does't shift at the right rpm. When I pointed this out to Mitch he said they will not take them out to verify shift points and that is the speed they calulated. Also he told me that if I wanted to get it ajusted to shift at the right speed I would have to buy LS1 edit and do it myself at the track. He would not even let me talk to the person that did the programming.

Has anyone else had this problem?

What RPM and MPH would I need to set it for each gear in order to get it to shift at 6500 rpm's?

Al
Old 07-20-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOT shifting has two 'triggers' if you will - MPH and RPM. The PCM will command an upshift once the requirements for both triggers are met. If you set the MPH lower, then all the PCM has to do is wait for the RPM. Ideally, it should shift close to where it's set in the PCM. But, once you start throwing builts tranny's and aftermarket converters in there, you have to apply a fudge factor.

Right now you say it shifts at 6K, it's set to shift at 6300, but you want it to shift at 6500. So, you start bumping up the RPM setting until it shifts where you want it to. The guy is right. You need to get someone (you or another tuner) to adjust the shift points on the street/track. They should have done it since you paid them. But, it appears they're not going to.

Quick Reply: LS1 edit shift points with 4.11 gears?