Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto VE HP Tuners for a Harrop on a 455ci stroker

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Auto Tune HP Tuners for a Harrop Intake on a 455ci stroker

I am trying to determine what way to go for a SD tune on a Harrop intake. The car is a 99 WS6, currently tuned with HP Tuners by a local shop.

Is the Auto VE HP Tuners available yet, I tried to find it on their site but I might be missing something?

I would not mind getting it now to try SD on my current set up. Since I could alway put the current tune back in, which I know works.

I had also been thinking about Big Stuff 3, but think it would impact the fact that this a street car with AC, Cruise, TC and a stock dash cluster.

Thanks in Advance for any input.

Last edited by RAMPANT; 07-27-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Auto VE" meaning the use of a Real Time Operating System that automatically updates the PCMs temp tables isn't available yet, however the process is still pretty simple

1. Activate a Real Time Operating system (1 bar MAF enhanced or SD)
2. Flash the PCM with a Real Time OS, activating the timing/fueling tables
3. Drive around collecting data
4. Throughout the drive, copy the values in the various histogras (select all, copy, then paste special into the Real Time Tables)
5. Once you're satisfied with the real time tune, copy the newly created tables to the actual .hpt file
6. Reflash PCM w/the new calibration

Only thing Auto-VE will add is the elimination of the copy/paste step, so it's pretty easy to do now
Old 07-27-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

if that's the 8 throttle body intake, I dont think SD would work, because you'd be measuring one pressure, temp, tps, etc... while you got 8 different ones. wouldnt you be able to run it only with alpha-n ? hmm...but what do BWM M's and such with individual throttle bodies do? i don't think they run alpha-n do they?
interesting....
Old 07-27-2007, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
if that's the 8 throttle body intake, I dont think SD would work, because you'd be measuring one pressure, temp, tps, etc... while you got 8 different ones. wouldnt you be able to run it only with alpha-n ? hmm...but what do BWM M's and such with individual throttle bodies do? i don't think they run alpha-n do they?
interesting....
It is the one with 8 55mm TB's. There is a common connecting tube for the IAC to feed all 8 runners.

The TPS measures all 8 at once since they are connected through a common linkage.

Supposedly they typically use HP Tuners in SD, or so I have heard.

Any input form the Aussie's ot HP tuners themselves would be much appreciated.

When is the expected release of the Auto VE version then? I will be building the motor over the winter, but would be interested to see how the current 412 would respond to a SD tune before the end of the year. See if there is any HP to be gained.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a beautiful intake. Any fitment issues on the Fbod?

I think you're thinking of auto tuning or wideband closed loop feedback as opposed to AutoVE. AutoVE is an EFILive feature.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think any 'automated' methods are gonna work here. the idling MAP is gonna be so high that any MAP based methods (read: Speed Density) are going to have a very high error rate.

this is a good read:
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_3049/article.html
Old 07-27-2007, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
i dont think any 'automated' methods are gonna work here. the idling MAP is gonna be so high that any MAP based methods (read: Speed Density) are going to have a very high error rate.

this is a good read:
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_3049/article.html
Good article.

It would seem they have followed this path.

Interestingly, Mr Gischus points out that OE Nissan individual throttle systems have a small vacuum passage in each bore which connect to a shared log-type chamber. This chamber stores a vacuum signal that’s strong enough to assist the brakes and provide a load signal to the fuel pressure regulator. Idle speed is controlled by a stepper motor bypass.

Hopefully it is not that bad. This intake is supposed to tame a big cam as well, giving a smooth idle, due to minimal reversion.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
That's a beautiful intake. Any fitment issues on the Fbod?

I think you're thinking of auto tuning or wideband closed loop feedback as opposed to AutoVE. AutoVE is an EFILive feature.
It appears as though it will fit. I have taken some measurements and found these pics on here: