PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car runnign super rich... Stays in closed loop.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 11:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car runnign super rich... Stays in closed loop.

i have a 98 ta, ls1. I am really interested in getting the car tuned, but recently the car will not come out of closed loop for the fuel. I have an obd2 scanner, and it used to show open loop, or closed loop, and it would switch to open when the car would warm up... Hears the situation.

Coolant temp sensor went bad, i replaced it. it works, no ses light from it now.

Map sensor is working and shows pressure according to obd2 scanner.

Maf is showing how many g's of air is going across it.

O2's show voltage and i think are working

The car has long tubes, and rear o2's are not hooked up, and i have egr block off plates. I have not tuned rear 02's, or the egr out of the ecu yet.

Could the 02's be my problem? Should i get new ones? does the egr and rear 02's need to be tuned out so the car can go into open loop? im lost, i have no ses light, but 3 codes. Rear 02's no activity are 2 codes, and egr circuit high input i believe.

I plan on getting this stuff tuned out, but dont want to bring it somewhere to get tuned, and have them not be able to tune it since the car would go in open loop.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks, Chris
Old 08-05-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you say that the car will not come out of closed loop for fuel... are you talking about WOT?? or are you talking about it not coming out of closed loop daily driving??

what SHOULD happen is you park the car for the nite, wake up the next day and get into and crank it. it should be in Open loop until it warms up. then it will stay in closed loop till it cools off and various other variables....the car is naturally going to stay in closed loop... you might want to think about re-wording what you are saying above.

take the car to the tuner and have them tune it. get them to get rid of your codes and tune it on the dyno and street... then post back the results. also once he/she tunes it then if there is a problem they usually fix it for free or a very small fee; problem(s) solved

keep me posted
Old 08-05-2007, 09:36 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
you say that the car will not come out of closed loop for fuel... are you talking about WOT?? or are you talking about it not coming out of closed loop daily driving??

what SHOULD happen is you park the car for the nite, wake up the next day and get into and crank it. it should be in Open loop until it warms up. then it will stay in closed loop till it cools off and various other variables....the car is naturally going to stay in closed loop... you might want to think about re-wording what you are saying above.

take the car to the tuner and have them tune it. get them to get rid of your codes and tune it on the dyno and street... then post back the results. also once he/she tunes it then if there is a problem they usually fix it for free or a very small fee; problem(s) solved

keep me posted
I guess i was confused....

I thought that the car should be in open loop once it wamrs up. And i thought open loop was when it was monitoring the sensor's and adding or taking away fuel, and closed loop was just the pre programmed fuel curve in the ecu. The scarry thing is i actually already talked to a tuner about this, and the car runnign rich, and he was the one that explained it to me this way. I dont know if i will be taking the car to him to get it tuned.

So, when the car is cold, and and warming up it should be in open loop, and after it has been driving for a little bit and wamred up it should go to closed loop, and stay in closed loop?

The tuner i talked to even told me id have to get the car to go into open loop before he could tune it. Thanks for the reply. I might just bring the car to speedinc and get it tuned, since they have done 1,000's of ls1's probably.

Thanks, Chris
Old 08-05-2007, 10:04 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
So, when the car is cold, and and warming up it should be in open loop, and after it has been driving for a little bit and wamred up it should go to closed loop, and stay in closed loop?
This is correct - you had it backwards originally. Does it go into closed loop once it warms up? If so, everything is working.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:10 AM
9 Second Club

Well i never have scanned it and looked when it was cold, but its always been in closed loop when driving, and since i was told it was supposed to be in open loop thats why i posted to try and see what was wrong. Thanks guys, now i just need to get it tuned so its not so rich. thanks, Chris
Old 08-05-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it a lil ***-backwards. You would think open loop would mean warmed up and "open" to info or change.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

sweet. another satisfied customer let us know what she puts down

Quick Reply: Car runnign super rich... Stays in closed loop.