PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cursed Car? Still has CHECK GAUGES

Old 08-06-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cursed Car? Still has CHECK GAUGES

Ok so I replaced my alternator because the CHECK GAUGES light came on, I fired the car up and YAY! the voltage is normal and the check gauges light is gone, i drive it around a lil, take it home, park it. I go to drive it again, i turn on the ignition and the check gauges light is back, I assume it will go away as I start the engine, so I start the engine and WTF? My voltage is low again and the check gauges light still there. Someone please help
Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Teching In

How do you know your voltage is low. what does it measure. You most likely got a bad alternator. Its usually a 50-50 shot on gettting a working one from a parts store when you buy a reman.

Did you try pulling codes.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

my voltage is at like 10 volts where normaly its at 14.4 at idle. 50 - 50 shot you say? thanks... ill contact those guys. any other ideas why it would work then not work?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dead cell in the battery?

what are the ses codes?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring the battery in for a free load test - if nothing else it'll eliminate that as the problem.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

there are no ses codes, just a big fat light, i am gonna try the battery guys, its the stock batt....
Old 08-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Or you could just disconnect the battery after you start the car up. If you voltage stays low its not the battery. Or you can just throw parts at it.

I vote alternator as that would cause a low voltage condition.

I don't recall the last time I haven't had to go through 2 or 3 alternators from the parts store when changing one for someone. They will test fine. Then you put them in and a day later lights are dim or flicker. Bring it to autozone because they have an awesome tester there that checks for ripple, field etc. And tells you what the problem is. Its usually a diode. After a few more different alternators you will eventually get one that will not fail after a few days. Its kinda like playing lotto. I just get really pissed when I get the ones that completely doesn't work right out of the box.

Test to find problem before throwing parts at it.

Last edited by shotty128; 08-09-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this sounds stupid, but when you get below a 1/4 tank on fuel the (red check gauge) light will come on. I tripped me out when i first seen it come on . The yellow light is the check engine
Old 08-11-2007, 11:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by shotty128
Or you could just disconnect the battery after you start the car up. If you voltage stays low its not the battery. Or you can just throw parts at it.

I vote alternator as that would cause a low voltage condition.

I don't recall the last time I haven't had to go through 2 or 3 alternators from the parts store when changing one for someone. They will test fine. Then you put them in and a day later lights are dim or flicker. Bring it to autozone because they have an awesome tester there that checks for ripple, field etc. And tells you what the problem is. Its usually a diode. After a few more different alternators you will eventually get one that will not fail after a few days. Its kinda like playing lotto. I just get really pissed when I get the ones that completely doesn't work right out of the box.

Test to find problem before throwing parts at it.

Disconnecting the battery while the engine is running is not a good idea on any LS car, this isnt the 60's anymore.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

i had the exact same problem my car has gone through like 4 or 5 alternators from autozone good thing its got a warranty so they replace it for free, but anyways my car did the same **** and i found that the ground wire that connects to the back of the alternator to the battery was all toasted and burnt so i peeled it back and cut it and put a new copper post on it so it could get a good ground and that fixed the problem. so that could be it or if not is your alternator for sure. hope this helps

Search this Thread