Sponsored by:

Unplug Air Bag Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Unplug Air Bag Sensor?

I just removed the console between the seats and discovered the air-bag sensor there. I'm thinking about unpluging it; is there any problems with doing so? Will it activate, or throw a SES if I do? TIA!
Old 05-23-2003, 04:54 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Unplug Air Bag Sensor?

if you disconnect it the only light that will be on is your airbag light. the box you are talking about is a airbag diagnostic module. thats the heart to the airbag system if you disconnet that no chance of
Old 05-28-2003, 01:35 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Well I unpluged it, now I get three lights: airbag, ses, and service light. Is there something that can be done in LS1edit to make the PCM forget about the airbag system?
Old 05-28-2003, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to know if I can install a toggle switch to disable the passenger air bag so my 5 year old daughter can ride in the front with me on a short trip to the store.

The single cab trucks have a key switch that does this.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:31 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

I guess the bcm and pcm are interlinked with the air bag module i did'nt recall a ses light coming on but service light yes i forgot about that one. as far a hooking a switch up if you disable that bag you will get a trouble code and airbag system will not work and the light might have to be cleared to rearm the system. when the light is on system is dead.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Teching In

I'd like to know if I can install a toggle switch to disable the passenger air bag so my 5 year old daughter can ride in the front with me on a short trip to the store.

Actually my extended cab 2000 Silverado has this. I just got the truck and don't have my FSM yet, but hope to soon. I have always been curious about the switch since they were initially availble as a dealer option years ago, but it seems things should be much simpler with so many vehicles that have factory systems. Email me in a couple weeks and see if I have had a chance to investigate the system once I get the FSM.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:26 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

I guess the bcm and pcm are interlinked with the air bag module i did'nt recall a ses light coming on but service light yes i forgot about that one. as far a hooking a switch up if you disable that bag you will get a trouble code and airbag system will not work and the light might have to be cleared to rearm the system. when the light is on system is dead.
You're right, the SES light is being caused by a different problem. I plugged the air bag back in, Service Vehicle and Airbag lights went off, but SES still on. Autotap is telling me it's a P0449 Enhanced Evaporative vent solenoid circuit Fault. Now if I could just figure out where this vent solenoid is; wish I had the shop manual.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can ride you daughter in that seat. The trucks are bad for front seat children, since the seat sits way to close.. If you put your child in the front of your car, just put the seat all the way back and they will be fine.

This was told to my by a driving/safety instructor for Porsche when I was in Germany... I think it makes sense, so my child (6) has ridden in the front with the airbag. I just put her seat all the way back...
Old 05-29-2003, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

At one point GM dealers would install these shut-off switches free in the trucks because kids couldn't ride in the back.
That's why trucks get the shut-off switches now.
If you have 3 kids and can make the case that you have no option of using the back seat, they would probably install one for you (and I think it might be free)
Old 05-31-2003, 09:23 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

FYI and FWIW, to have an ON-Off switch or disengage the air bag you have to make a request in writing to the NHTSA. See http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/

I am going to call a dealer on Monday. If they make a switch then I have to install that if not then I will request to disengage it. My probably is I can't get better than 10 inches between my chest and the air bag.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about if you unplug the air bag in the steering wheel, will it go

Quick Reply: Unplug Air Bag Sensor?