Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D*mn Cali smog law

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry D*mn Cali smog law

ok took my stock 01 Z28 to get smogged and it passed everything but the (system malfunction light) they highlighted the reason it failed it says "THIS VEHICLE FAILED THE MIL/CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DUE TO FAILURE TO SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE ALL OBD SELF TEST" I have a obd2 scan tool and it was throwing codes P0420 and P0430 but the cats and o2 sensors passed the emissions part of the smog test. so I am stuck does anyone know how to i guess trick the pcm in the car into thinking that all the test are done and everything is fine if so it would help me alot.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Teching In

I dont think there is anyway to really trick it. When you clear a code all you do is reset it. You make the PCM "forget" what problems the car had. You see the smog tech connects the smog machine to the OBD2 connector and reads your RPM and your monitor status.If the BAR 97 (smog machine) sees that the monitors have not ran ,it will fail the functional part of the Smog Check . Sometimes you can get away with one or two that have not ran.
I take those are catalyst deffiency codes or fualty O2 codes.. However if the gasses passed the smog test that pretty much means your cats are doing their job. I think somewhere along these threads I read this one where the guy had the same codes and GM replaced the PCM under warranty. I dont think both your o2 will go bad at once. If your scan tool allows you can check them look at the wave pattern and voltage overtime. I hope I didn't confuse you and was some help to you. PS.. I am a smog Tech so if you have questions, hopefully ,I may have answers.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

You can have the codes deleted so they can't come on.