PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cylinder five miss-firing

Old 09-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cylinder five miss-firing

so last night i noticed my car felt sluggish and the check engine light started blinking. so i pulled over and noticed there was some white smoke coming out of the exhaust. so this morning i took my car to aamco to get the code read, and the guy said clinder five is miss-firing. he asked me when the last ime i changed the spark plugs was. and i haven't since i bought the car. (3 months ago) he said its most likely those but it could also be the coil pack. what do you guys think?? any help would be appreciated. i just don't wanna spend money that i really dont have. im gonna have to use the credit card for whatever i end up doing. thanks mike
Old 09-01-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

8 new ngk 55s will run u bout 18 bucks and a coil is 44 new wires are 38 might as well just buy it all
Old 09-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Teching In

UPDATE: i changed the spark plugs. and the check engine light has been reset. the car seems fine now but im still skeptical about the white smoke. i do have gutted cats but i've never seen smoke like this before. anyone have any ideas on what could be causing my car to smoke??? thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

White smoke is generally condensation in the exhaust or coolant. Does it do it constantly? Does it get worse with more throttle?
Old 09-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Teching In

well it did do it constantly. last night i went to go watch a race and it was 30 min away. car is running perfect and no more smoke. so i guess i'll wait a week to see if it comes back. my friend told me the reason my car was smoking was because it was miss firing really bad and my car had the stock spark plug wires.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001-M6-Z28
my friend told me the reason my car was smoking was because it was miss firing really bad and my car had the stock spark plug wires.

that wouldnt explain white smoke, that would be black smoke.. black smoke is unburnt fuel, and white smoke is usually oil.. could be steam.. either one is not good though..
Old 09-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Teching In

well my car started smoking again this morning on the way to work. i looks like i'll be geeting my engine rebuilt. how much do you think it will cost??? and should i go stock or aftermarket since a couple hundred more wouldn't hurt????
Old 09-04-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

have you found out whats causing the smoke.. you should try and locate the problem and find out what it is before you dish out a few k on a rebuild

ohh and is it smoke or steam??
Old 09-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Hi, Have a radiator pressure check done. If you have a head gasket leak letting coolant get into the combustion chamber or oil. That would, should, show it. If so, don't keep running it as coolant & oil don't like one another at the bearings. Oil look good & not milkey? Coolant in the cyl washes down the walls. Dave
Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Teching In

it looks like smoke more than steam. well i'll be taking my car down to alex at cms hopefully this weekend! and they'll hopefully be able to tell me whats wrong with my car.
Originally Posted by presto_z
have you found out whats causing the smoke.. you should try and locate the problem and find out what it is before you dish out a few k on a rebuild

ohh and is it smoke or steam??
Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Teching In

the iol looks perfectly fine. i've seen what other cars look like when they need a head gasket. and mine doesn't look like that at all. do you think it could be o2 sensors?? my g/f's dad told me to check my o2 sensors sonce i have no cats. it's funny how i keep getting different ppl telling me different stuff and i believe them because i don't know crap about engines.

Originally Posted by locodave46
Hi, Have a radiator pressure check done. If you have a head gasket leak letting coolant get into the combustion chamber or oil. That would, should, show it. If so, don't keep running it as coolant & oil don't like one another at the bearings. Oil look good & not milkey? Coolant in the cyl washes down the walls. Dave
Old 09-05-2007, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

when a head gasket goes it does not always milk the oil, it can be small and only leak into the combustion chamber. Doing the labor yourself you can change out the head gaskets for relatively cheap.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

all of this is based on white smoke... if its black none of this means anything

is there any new engine noise??

are you loosing any water??

have you ran it hot??

what did the number 5 plug look like??

its not an o2 since the smoke is white (but your o2 may now be bad from all the smoke building up on it)

do an oil change and pour the old oil into a clear container and let it sit overnight to see if any water seperates from the oil also

do a compression test, take a reading on the number 5 cylinder.. now put a few squirts of 30w oil in there and turn the motor over a few times (dont start it just do a few rotations) then add a few more squirts of the oil and take another compression test...

if it changes then its below the head and its most likely a piston ring (pray that it isnt) if it doesnt change then its most likely in the head

it could also be sign of serious piston or piston ring damage (but i highly highly doubt anything is really mangled since it still runs decent and you would know instantly from the first compression test and smoke would be pouring out of that thing really really bad)
Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Teching In

is there any new engine noise??
NO NEW NOISES AT ALL
are you loosing any water??
NOPE
have you ran it hot??
IT DID GET ALITTLE OVER 210 SITTING IN TRAFFIC BUT THEN IT WENT BACK DOWN TO ABOUT 200

what did the number 5 plug look like??
MY BRO SAID IT WAS REALLY BAD. I NEVER ACTUALLY SAW IT
Old 09-05-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

210-220 is not hot at all, i was talking about 240+ temps so the best thing to do would be a compression test.. at this point its hard to diagnose a problem without physically being there.. the guys in the advanced tech section may be able to help ya out a bit more...

if you bring it to a good mechanic they should be able to diagnose your problem fairly quickly.. its always better to pay a little more to someone who can get the job done right and in a timely matter then to bring it to some hack job who charges a few bucks less an hour but takes twice as long and only does a half *** job..

also if the mechanics shop is all full of hoopti cars then it is safe to assume he will treat yours like the others.. i always try and stick to a performance shop that works on high numbers of f-bodies and lsx based motors
Old 09-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Teching In

sweet thanks for all the help.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Banned

Pull the plug out of #5 and see what it looks like. If its white, then I'll bet the #5 injector is clogged. Do the same with the other plugs and compare them to #5. Are they the same?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1320FEVER
Pull the plug out of #5 and see what it looks like. If its white, then I'll bet the #5 injector is clogged. Do the same with the other plugs and compare them to #5. Are they the same?
what can you do to fix it if its clogged
Old 12-14-2007, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

replace it, they're cheap $30 ~35 bucks last I had to buy one.

Search this Thread