Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DFI Gen 7 Not Connecting!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DFI Gen 7 Not Connecting!!

Anyone have this problem? It acts like the port is not plugged in to the computer at all!! I know the computer is getting power and working cause the car will try to run on the crap tune thats in it!! Any suggestions on what to try? Thanks!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you try the comm port test?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

yes change to a different com port
Old 09-06-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

do you mean by going to the disk management and changing the drive letter and path?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I must be missing something here!! By buddy said I have to have the pro key in when trying to establish communication!! I was told I have it so it must still be in the box the system came in!! I just had the usb cable that plugs into the main harness connected to my laptop!! So I have to have the usb cable and the com port pro key pluged in at the same time? Never used this system before so I feel like an idiot!! Ha!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

depends on the system if you need the key or not. but that should only unlock some configuration changes, not to establish a connection.

the port i am referring to is the serial port you are connected to it though.. also if you are using a usb to serial port adapter you need to make sure that is working first

to pick which port on the comptuer to talk to would be under connections or something like that.. on dfi it may even be an option on the initial 'welcome' screen
Old 09-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bc56f100
Ok I must be missing something here!! By buddy said I have to have the pro key in when trying to establish communication!! I was told I have it so it must still be in the box the system came in!! I just had the usb cable that plugs into the main harness connected to my laptop!! So I have to have the usb cable and the com port pro key pluged in at the same time? Never used this system before so I feel like an idiot!! Ha!
You can link up without the key. That wont keep you from communicating with it. It will keep you from making some tuning adjustments.
The comm port test is either on the front page, or in the tool bar once you open up GEN7. I think its in the tool bar, but its been a while since I've tuned one.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok....well what I have is a harness that connects to the main harness right at the ecm and goes into a little black box then comes out with a long wire with a usb on the end! So are you saying that I need to have an adapter to turn that usb into a serial port? I just had the usb cable going into my computer through one of the usb ports!! Thanks guys for all the help!! This dern thing has been a long time commin and this is really frustrating!!! Ha!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys I got it!! there was another cable in the box just like the other exept it had the com port on the end instead of the usb!! Works great!! Now the fun game of tunning!!! Woo Hoo!!