PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New PCM install and Code P1637

Old 09-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New PCM install and Code P1637

Can EFILive V2 Commercial be used to flash a new PCM purchased from a GM dealer? I have a 2001 Corvette with a modified tune for a Magnacharger and cam that I want to flash to a new PCM. Also will it use up one of my licenses? I am getting a P1637 code for my alternator and going through the troubleshooting described in the owner’s manual points to the PCM being the fault. If I disconnect the three-conductor terminal on the alternator, turn the ignition to on without starting the engine I read 10.6 VDC at the L terminal. According to the manual this should be about 5 VDC. Disconnecting the connector at the PCM and checking the continuity between it and the L terminal at the alternator the continuity is good. Also, here are no shorts to ground on the lead. There are no shorts between the L terminal of the connector and the other two terminals. With the engine running voltage output randomly jumps around from 12.9 to 15.2 VDC. With the engine running voltage at the L terminal of the alternator is 4.9 VDC. With the engine running I believe the L terminal voltage should be zero. If anyone out there has any other Ideas please let me know.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C3vette75
Can EFILive V2 Commercial be used to flash a new PCM purchased from a GM dealer? I have a 2001 Corvette with a modified tune for a Magnacharger and cam that I want to flash to a new PCM. Also will it use up one of my licenses? I am getting a P1637 code for my alternator and going through the troubleshooting described in the owner’s manual points to the PCM being the fault. If I disconnect the three-conductor terminal on the alternator, turn the ignition to on without starting the engine I read 10.6 VDC at the L terminal. According to the manual this should be about 5 VDC. Disconnecting the connector at the PCM and checking the continuity between it and the L terminal at the alternator the continuity is good. Also, here are no shorts to ground on the lead. There are no shorts between the L terminal of the connector and the other two terminals. With the engine running voltage output randomly jumps around from 12.9 to 15.2 VDC. With the engine running voltage at the L terminal of the alternator is 4.9 VDC. With the engine running I believe the L terminal voltage should be zero. If anyone out there has any other Ideas please let me know.
I assume your talking about red pin 15 i believe? I have read strange voltage values from that pin before myself, but in my experience as long as the voltage on that pin is higher then 5 volts the alternator works just fine. All that voltage does is tells the alternator to turn on. If your having charging problems and there is greater then 5 volts on there id look somewhere else for the problem. With C5's is most generally a grounding problem, so check out all the chassis and block grounds for solid connection.

As for the PCM, yes EFI LIve can flash the new PCM, and yes it will require another one of your licenses to do so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New PCM install and Code P1637