Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using LS1 PCM/ECM for LS6

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using LS1 PCM/ECM for LS6

I am using a 1998 computer and I dropped an LS6 in the car after the LS1 gave up. My tuner was telling me the 98 computer is the reason he is having a hard time getting the tune spot on. How hard is it to swap out a 98 computer to an LS6 computer? Do I need the entire wiring harness or can I just replace the computer unit itself (plug and play)?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Launching!

What issues are you having, and what tuning software is he using?

Originally Posted by kaos_
I am using a 1998 computer and I dropped an LS6 in the car after the LS1 gave up. My tuner was telling me the 98 computer is the reason he is having a hard time getting the tune spot on. How hard is it to swap out a 98 computer to an LS6 computer? Do I need the entire wiring harness or can I just replace the computer unit itself (plug and play)?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

hmm, i'll get back to you on that one. but specifically, he is having trouble getting the car to idle like stock at startup. it just surges and i have to give it some brake pressure so it will calm down and idle fine. once it hits operating temp it is fine. also when it shifts in to OD it wants to cam surge unless i either brake or give it more gas.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

surging is overfueling. keep retuning RAF and VE (and MAF if you use that) until they converge on a stable, healthy idle. it has nothing to do a pcm/motor combo, i got a 99 computer with a forged ls6 and it idles at 520rpm like a lexus
Old 09-26-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I put a crate '02 ls6 in my 99 Camaro m6 years ago (still in there too). I ran it on the stock tune for a couple months before I had it tuned. I did'nt really have any surge problems except on certain cool mornings it might surge but the cam lope will show up in the way it drives even though it's a stock engine. It ran fine on the stock tune, it 399rwhp on it and we tuned it to 405rwhp and weeks later to 407rwhp after I put bigger injectors in it. Do you still have the stock tq converter? That could be the problem or tune the tranny buy making the lockup feature lockup later(higher speeds, more rpm) to keep it out of loping. Also you might want to get rid of the misfire detection codes. #'s in the sig to see what a stock ls6 is capable of in pure street form.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Tuning 98 pcms are not impossible...just more challenging because the VE(backup), and RAF tables have less resolution which leads to more guessing/interpolation.

The swap is not a straight fwd plug and play- unless you consider swapping almost all of the 160 wires going to the pcm and other software considerations.

There is a horn of plenty of information on this subject within the confines of this forum.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

Click the link in my sig for PCM swap info