Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF vs SD Stock Internal???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF vs SD Stock Internal???

i was wondering if anyone had done any comparison of MAF vs SD power output in a bolt on F-Body?
i see a lot of upside to SD tuning with big cams and power adders, just wanted to know if anyone had feedback for a bolt on application before i decided which way to go.

-Thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HumpinSS did a comparison last year I think, it was within 0.5hp across the full range of RPM. MAF is NOT a bottleneck.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i can't find anything about it doing a search.
were the comparisons dyno only or were track results also experimented with? jsut wondering if there is a difference at speed with any of the available air intake systems like the FTRA i have on my car now.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no HP gain going from a good Closed loop/maf tune to a SD tune. You go to SD for Cams with alot of overlap or boosted situations for more control.Thats a simple break down.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you ask the ozzies they will tell you to throw the MAF as SD is more responsive and smoother. Virtually nobody there runs a MAF in a stock or otherwise tuned car
Old 10-22-2007, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its been proven many many times over that SD tuning provides better overall power and much better throttle response. I was always hesitant to the claims till I retuned a car SD from its previous MAF tune. Seat of the pants the car was a different animal.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had just went to a efi school and we talked about maf vs sd and was told their was not much of a differance.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

so many different answers that your just going to gave to test it urself. this post will start a big sd vs maf war. put your car in sd mode get your VE tables on point and see how you like it. then plug your maf back tune it and see how u like it. thats what im doing. my car is currently in SD mode and throttle response is better. however thats because im tuning it to get it that way. once im done i'll take it out of SD and tune the MAF. if i don't like the results then i'll just stick to SD.

either way tuning the VE tables is pretty cool if you ask me.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Power is virtually the same, the argument is that as mentioned increased throttle response and transitions are smoother.
MAF is the easier and lazier way to tune, plus takes into account variations in engine wear, mods etc, hence why the OEM's use it. Anyway not arguing, just observing
Old 10-23-2007, 06:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This is a debate that will long forever be argued. People claim that the MAF is a restriction, I run a STOCK MAF less screen in an LT1 Forced Inducted application. Car puts down 648 RWHP on pump gas and up to 722 RWHP with fast gas and a little more boost. You will hear from someone about the power gains or so called seat of the pants response. A lot of time people add a mod and want to believe they feel the car with a quicker acceleration, but go to the track and find different. Of course there are times that this and certain other mods do make a difference. Just like the TB airfoil that came out for the LT's. I tested them on the dyno and saw 0-2 HP gains but have read where someone posted that they gained 30 RWHP!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ringram
Power is virtually the same, the argument is that as mentioned increased throttle response and transitions are smoother.
MAF is the easier and lazier way to tune, plus takes into account variations in engine wear, mods etc, hence why the OEM's use it. Anyway not arguing, just observing
firstly dont worry not stalking you fella, just did a google on Maf vs SD and this was the top thread!

This weekend am hoping to do a HSV dyno day and currently in the middle of tuning the car for SD and closed loop. As I am there if there is a spare booking I can ask to do a 2nd run with my MAF installed.

My plan is to scale the MAF this week prior to the run then revert to SD tune for the run but would be interested to see any comparisson.

Of course the issue in dyno runs is how the AT effects things so it may not be representative.

I may look at going back to MAF full time and closed loop but as it is my mpg isnt much worse off in OLSD just with emissions etc I might just go maf cl but disable ltft
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i talked to one of the guys at HPTuners today and i think what i am going to do is jsut continue to program with the MAF until i have all or at least the bulk of my bolt ons together, and then i will go to the SD and see what if any difference there is in the results.
HPTuners only charges one credit for the custom operating systems and the package to purchase the software comes with 8 credits anyway. it is worth a try since it is costing me any extra anyway.

BTW, real time tuning is friggin fun as hell.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 AM

credits for COS?? Richard you should be on the advertising push here!!