PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP...will these DTC's make my car low on power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP...will these DTC's make my car low on power?

I'm still learning about these cars (previous Mustang fanatic) and I'm just not impressed on how my car runs. I got the following codes
P1133
P1153
P1416
I have pretty much most of the usual bolt-ons, free-mods and 4.10 gears. To mean this car should get up and go. I just don't feel like it has the power it should. It idles fine and doesn't hiccup or miss any, it just don't plant you in the seat like I think it should.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-21-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

P1133 - HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1153 - HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 2 Sensor 1
P1416 - Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2

The first two DTCs regard both the driver and passenger side pre-cat O2 sensor. This is typical with headers as they run cooler then the stock manifolds and don't allow the O2 sensors to switch properly. Many people have luck with the rear O2 sensors from a Corvette (Bosch 13111). The car will also constantly run in open loop anytime a O2 sensor code is being thrown. The car will be down on power as the stock open loop fuel table is rich.

EDIT: Information regarding the last DTC -

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...16#post4245985

Last edited by Shallow Bay; 10-21-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they are on it will cause you to be in open loop

delete the p1133 and 1153 codes... i did and my car runs fine. 1416...what have you done to your air injection stuff??
Old 10-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

I don't have the money yet for a dyno-tune so I can't get the p1133 & p1153 codes removed for good.

My air injection equipment is stock. I do however have the block off kit waiting to go on. I was going to put it on right before I get it tuned so they can remove that code as well.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:50 AM
FormerVendor

The 1133 and 1153 don't inherently lead to poor performance, but they can be indicators of a potential problem. The codes are definitely common for individuals with headers. When the O2's get moved too far away from the engine, they often will run too cool and not operate as intended. The theory behind our closed loop operation requires a certain amount of switching between lean and rich signals as recognized by the O2's. If this rich/lean lean/rich switching does not occur often enough, then these codes will set. I have never noticed the PCM going into open loop as a result of the codes being set though. O2 sensors can go bad though. If you have a scanner, you actually 'see' the voltage pattern and see if it is too high (rich) or low (lean) for an extended period. I didn't see in your sig that you had headers, so you may have some other issue. I am not big on the Granatelli MAF's as I have seen more problems with them rather than benefits.

I would visually inspect for potential exhaust leaks, look over the wiring, and if possible get a scanner to actually monitor the O2's. Often these codes (1133/53) can be turned off without issue.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

UPDATE........

Well today I went and left the ignition switch on while leaving the negative battery cable disconnected for about 2 hours. WOW...that made a BIG difference. The only thing now is that I go codes P0133 and P1153 this time. I also heard a slight exhaust leak where the muffler shop must have used Ultr-gold RTV instead of the gasket when they bolted up my Y-pipe to the shorty headers I have.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by John-SDPC
Often these codes (1133/53) can be turned off without issue.
just turn the codes off... my car has been running with them off for years and ran like crap on open loop(when i did have the codes on) because the open loop fueling table was rich as crap.

if you really want to get rid of the air pump, have the tuner also delete that out and you can take all that air pump crap out and then use your block-off plates

ALSO in turning the air pump codes ALL OFF.. ALL OF THEM!!! this is important if you wish to pass inspection!!!!!!!! TURN ALL OF THEM OFF..there are quite a few of them
with all of them off you will pass the readiness tests for the aiur pump as the code will just read 'ready' if you want more info on that just PM me