PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Speed Density Tuning right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is Speed Density Tuning right for me?

Hey guys I have a 02’ ss with bolts on’s, MS4, and Yank ss4000. I will be getting my tune done this weekend and can’t decide whether or not to go with a speed density tune. I live in northern california and the car is not my dd but I drive it as much as possible on the street.

I have heard a lot of people getting speed density tune’s with big cams. Should I opt for a speed density tune??? Is it worth it? Any major drawbacks?

My plans for the future are most likely going to include ls6 stage 1 heads from tsp and a 100 dry shot...

Thanks for the input guys…
Old 10-26-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ask the tuner what he recommends, no point making them tune something they dont like or think is any good.
If they dont care either way, personally Id go SD.
But make sure they map out the entire fuel and spark tables!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ringram
Ask the tuner what he recommends, no point making them tune something they dont like or think is any good.
sounds good. i will be talking with the tuner later today and will ask him what he recommends. im pretty sure he will do either or, but sd is $50 more. is it worth it?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FadedSS
sounds good. i will be talking with the tuner later today and will ask him what he recommends. im pretty sure he will do either or, but sd is $50 more. is it worth it?
The right way to tune it is SD anyways, then turn the maf back on.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Banned

Um, that would be a SD tune. The only dif would be if they turned the maf back on or not, and then scaled it.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, spoke with the tuner and he recommended NOT getting a speed density tune. He said it was unnecessary and not practical for my application. Nonetheless, I’m scheduled to get my tune next Friday now because there was not any availability this weekend. I will be posting up my dyno #’s ASAP! Thanks for the input guys…
Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FadedSS
Okay, spoke with the tuner and he recommended NOT getting a speed density tune. He said it was unnecessary and not practical for my application. Nonetheless, I’m scheduled to get my tune next Friday now because there was not any availability this weekend. I will be posting up my dyno #’s ASAP! Thanks for the input guys…
Is he going to dial in your VE table by turning off your maf and then tuning it? If so thats a SD tune.
If not you're getting short changed.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:51 PM
FormerVendor

Doesnt make sense to me, He should be speed density tuning your car, then once thats done turning the maf back on and scaling it if you dont want to stay with speed density

So my questions are, why does speed density cost 50 bucks more, since its really less work for him, and two, if he doesnt speed density tune it what is he gonna do? (i smell maf cal and IFR)

Lastly, speed density will not work with a dry shot, so consider that when you decide
Old 10-27-2007, 04:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
Doesnt make sense to me, He should be speed density tuning your car, then once thats done turning the maf back on and scaling it if you dont want to stay with speed density

So my questions are, why does speed density cost 50 bucks more, since its really less work for him, and two, if he doesnt speed density tune it what is he gonna do? (i smell maf cal and IFR)

Lastly, speed density will not work with a dry shot, so consider that when you decide
thanks for the info i will most definately bring up these questions when i go in for my tune on friday...
Old 10-27-2007, 05:58 AM
Banned

(i smell maf cal and IFR)
Old 10-27-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Of all the setups I have had. This one with a SD tune is the best driving one ever! My old H/C stock-bottom didn`t drive as good as mine now. I have a 250 255 640 640 113 with a A4 and she is awsome to drive!! A/C and all!!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Id say its because tuners that charge more for SD tunes, ignore dialing in the VE when the MAF is retained, just throw a base VE in and move on to the spark. Its very common here in AUS. Count yourselves lucky, most shops here charge hundreds more for full SD tunes. We're talking $1500 in some cases.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is someassumption here... And why would anyone use both the IFR AND MAF table to fix trimming? I have personally never seen an IFR tune with ANYTHING other than a stock MAF table (or a stock table for the installed MAF).

You never know how someone is gonna tune a car; I use lots of different methods depending on setup. I am not likely to do an SD tune to a boltons car or a car that will be doing lots of other mods in the future unless it is what the owner wants. I may work the VE to 2K and change the filtering/biasing to give the MAF full control at that point (4K is stock) and calibrate the MAF table from there, for example.

Also, FWIW, there are several ways to run dry nitrous in SD and still get your fueling.

/end 2cents
Old 10-28-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Um, that would be a SD tune. The only dif would be if they turned the maf back on or not, and then scaled it.
Exactly, but as we know its an essential base for any tune SD or MAF
Old 10-28-2007, 06:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly, but as we know its an essential base for any tune SD or MAF
I re-tune at LEAST 1 car a week that has already been "tuned" by one large shop or another that sports a stock VE from 1600 RPMs up... or worse, stock all together and some other table(s) are butchered (like OLFA and IFR). Another gem is a TOTALLY stock timing map with a rectangle from >0.60g/cyl and 3000 RPMs/up that is all like 26deg.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For a stalled MS4 cam I would go full SD without the MAF. Some shops just haven't master'd it yet so they don't do it.

You can also tune the car with the MAF/VE/IFR changes with alot of other table changes. There are ways to tune the cars without ever disabling the MAF while tuning. A normal open loop tune with MAF takes me 10-30minutes to finish,with 1 cold start, Full SD takes me atleast 2 days of off/on driving to get where I want it,and verify the operation.

This is always a subject of opinions.I just use what has worked for the last 5 years and always try different ways to compare.