PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning - is it best with a dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tuning - is it best with a dyno?

Got a new guy question here. I'm learning a ton from this site, so I'd just like to say thanks for all the hard work you guys put into this place. It really helps idiots like me. But one thing I started to think about, is what is the BEST way to tune a car? Is the perfect tune done at a shop while on their dyno? Or can you accomplish the perfect tune by using a software pack and laptop? Just curious, just trying to figure out which way to go when the time comes.

Thanks!!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

The best tuning is done on the street and track. The dyno is merely an easier way to tune with "almost" as good results. The dyno is also much quicker and safer than street tuning, which can be insanely dangerous at times. For most people who can't find deserted streets or local tracks, the dyno can be their only hope for a decent tune, even though it can only approximate a real-world driving tune. With that being said, dynos CAN do things that cannot be done on asphalt. Small HP tweaks that are well within the margin of error for track conditions or weather can show up in the controlled environment of a good dyno cell.