PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can factory Traction Control be reprogrammed to make it somewhat useful?

Old 11-26-2007, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can factory Traction Control be reprogrammed to make it somewhat useful?

I mean, useful not to just cut all power, but to help good launch on slippery tracks?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes it can be done.. Turning it into an actual Launch Control is difficult next to impossible. A mate of mine did it in his VX SS but in the wet it was useless. As a rule of thumb I reduce the timing TC takes out by 35% on all cars I tune on both the Retard and Fast Retard Table.. This reduces the severity of TC considerably but its still quite useful. To give you an idea.. you can actually drive out of a slide rather than the engine just dieing in the ****.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

These tables are accessible with HP Tuners or EFILive?
I need this for drags on slippery tracks, to get a bit of help
Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you take out timing "authority" the system has no choice but to
fall to the next layer, and use the throttle pullout. That sucks worse
on an automatic because it will bother the shift points. I found that
increasing the allowed max timing retard makes it less eager to pull
throttle and come out of traction control cleaner.

However I think traction on slippery tracks is asking more for good
tires, than reduced engine output. That and finesse. The system is
not "smart" enough to put ABS to one wheel or anything like that,
it's pretty clumsy.

Going to a better differential can improve your power to the ground
quite a bit, relative to the stock Torsen.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Too bad they dont have throttle by wire on the fbodys because the zo6 traction control is pretty sweet. You would never know its on.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_z28_m6
Too bad they dont have throttle by wire on the fbodys because the zo6 traction control is pretty sweet. You would never know its on.
untik you make a really slow pass with it on
Old 11-27-2007, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

FROST, Im guessing you have never driven a z06? Most of the people on here are talking form t.c. experiences with their f bodys. Im telling you it is nothing like what you think. The car hooks like it has slicks on it. Im not saying your wrong but i cant see how the car could take off faster. The T.C. keeps thecar on the ragged edge of spinning the tires. I guess i would have to hear from an owner who has driven the z06 at the track. I can use this z06 any time but i dont think im going to take it to the track simply cause its not mine.
BTW I want that turbo system LOL.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2002_z28_m6
FROST, Im guessing you have never driven a z06? Most of the people on here are talking form t.c. experiences with their f bodys. Im telling you it is nothing like what you think. The car hooks like it has slicks on it. Im not saying your wrong but i cant see how the car could take off faster. The T.C. keeps thecar on the ragged edge of spinning the tires. I guess i would have to hear from an owner who has driven the z06 at the track. I can use this z06 any time but i dont think im going to take it to the track simply cause its not mine.
BTW I want that turbo system LOL.

taking this to PMs
Old 11-28-2007, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe there is some relatively inexpensive traction control system? Can't afford $1400 for Racelogic
Old 11-28-2007, 05:29 AM
FormerVendor

just have to learn to drive the car
Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

What a great technical advice. Honestly. No slicks, no suspension work, no traction control - just learn to drive...
Old 11-28-2007, 08:55 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Vetal
What a great technical advice. Honestly. No slicks, no suspension work, no traction control - just learn to drive...
Well, in a sense, hes right.

The best way to overcome this problem is just get more seat time, the more time you spend launching your car on the track youll see that you wont need traction control to get great launches, practice makes perfect
Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

In all honesty, this really IS great technical advice. If you don't understand the inherent problems of launching a traction limited, high powered, rear wheel drive car, then you need to start learning. If you want a computer to take care of what you can't, then you'll be reliant on that system for the rest of your life. There is no substitute for seat time...

As for Corvette traction control systems, yes, they seem a bit more transparent to the end user, but it really does slow the car down. One drive in a C6 taught me that one...like launching the car on slicks? Right

As for making what we have better suited for a track...sorry. The system isn't robust enough to handle that. I've tried...my TCS is now disabled for good physically.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys you probably look at these things differently, but my approach to get good ET is:
a) powerful engine
b) suspension setup
c) tires
d) weight reduction
e) practice
f) traction control
g) another 100 things

I'm going to deal with all of these points. Not only with one or two.
That's why when on my question "how to do this particular thing" I get answer "learn to drive", this is not exactly what I was asking for.
They use traction control in Formula 1 not because those guys are bunch of monkeys that can't drive.
Hope you understand my point
Old 11-28-2007, 02:13 PM
FormerVendor

We are all lying to you and traction control will make you launch perfect and fast every time.

/sarcasm.

I'm not being a dick, you asked a question and got a response (actually several) but it was not the response that you wanted, so I guess you will just have to see for yourself.

I'll say it one more time to be clear. OEM traction assist on Vettes and F-bodies are not useful at all for drag racing, and most likely no good for road racing either. No one here has any reason to lie about this stuff, it's just the way it is. I drive my car at over 700rwhp daily, so I know exactly how important throttle modulation is. I know it as well as anyone. There is no magic fix here; once the suspension work is done its all about technique.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

it also takes them 20 minutes to reset the damn cars if there is a false start.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frost
We are all lying to you and traction control will make you launch perfect and fast every time.

/sarcasm.

I'm not being a dick, you asked a question and got a response (actually several) but it was not the response that you wanted, so I guess you will just have to see for yourself.

I'll say it one more time to be clear. OEM traction assist on Vettes and F-bodies are not useful at all for drag racing, and most likely no good for road racing either. No one here has any reason to lie about this stuff, it's just the way it is. I drive my car at over 700rwhp daily, so I know exactly how important throttle modulation is. I know it as well as anyone. There is no magic fix here; once the suspension work is done its all about technique.
I won't speak for F-Bodies, because I don't own one nor have I ever driven one. However, this statement is very true for Corvettes. When drag racing, traction control must be turned off, and most of the time should be switched to competitive driving. (If you have that option, I don't however.) Even roll racing..as soon as you shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd you'll know exactly why you should have turned it off. Anyways, the part underlined..assuming you have a stock or near stock hp output, could be inaccurate. I'm not entirely sure..but driving the back roads in a VERY spirited manner--> I have yet to have the TC interfere w/ my fun, but then again it hasn't exactly helped. (In which case I hope I never need it to recover control of my car) It is kinda indifferent I suppose. Anyways, TC is good for friction-limited terrain such as gravel and rain.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frost
just have to learn to drive the car
Werd. Fly by wire can really suck if you have ever been in Reduced Engine Power Mode. It is usually a false alarm from not being tuned right. Boooo fly by wire.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Guys you probably look at these things differently, but my approach to get good ET is:
a) powerful engine
b) suspension setup
c) tires
d) weight reduction
e) practice
f) traction control
g) another 100 things

I'm going to deal with all of these points. Not only with one or two.
That's why when on my question "how to do this particular thing" I get answer "learn to drive", this is not exactly what I was asking for.
They use traction control in Formula 1 not because those guys are bunch of monkeys that can't drive.
Hope you understand my point
I hope you understand that F1 requires a team of engineers to tweak the TC (and other things) for the specific race conditions of each track on any particular day. Unless you have millions to pay in team salaries, I don't believe that to be a fair comparison.

Search this Thread