PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New at this.....any ideas by looking at this graph?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New at this.....any ideas by looking at this graph?

Car is a 2001 Firehawk, A4, .323, basically stock with JBA headers, as far as I know (Just bought it 2 months ago). Final pull was with the electric cutout open. The numbers look a little low and wondering what could be up.

The guy doing the pull said he could hear pinging at higher rpms and said it may be timing, but I didn't hear it. I also have an issue with rocker arm clatter from idle until 1200 rpms mostly. The wird thing is, when it's cold, there is no noise. It starts showing up after warmed up. Running 10W30 Mobil 1 too. Thanks.

http://thekissguy.netfirms.com/graphs.htm
Old 06-22-2003, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

Default Re: New at this.....any ideas by looking at this graph?

Why do you think it is low? About right for an A4.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:09 AM
Launching!

I've seen other 2001 A4 WS6's get higher numbers stock. I should be over 300 at least.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2002 M6 car with a "lid" only did 299.7 hp. I'd not expect an auto to run over 300, stock.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Launching!

*update*

Thanks to a local friend and his handy-dandy Predator we discovered that I have 3.2 degrees knock retard, 930 on the O2, and timing is...how do they say it...."all over the place" was his quote I think.

Tried to get dealerships to flash the PCM, Chevy wanted $100, Pontiac said free because of warranty, but not until Thursday or Friday. Since I'm leaving Tuesday or Wednesday, looks like a job for the dealership when I get to Virginia.

I guess the important thing is, there is a noticeable problem and my #'s are low because of it. Predator and Autotap are on my shopping list for sure now. I knew something wasn't right.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:41 AM
Launching!

What a difference a plug/wire change makes.

The plugs that came out of the car were NGK's, but they were TR 6's. I have a feeling the previous owner may have been running nitrous at some point, although the plugs are the only evidence we have. It's just a guess. They were replaced with factory gapped TR 55's and MSD Superconductor wires. The NGK TR 6's were gapped at .035 on one side, .045 on the other. They looked pretty used up too.

The Taylor wires were still good as my friend measured them, but I changed to MSD as that's the best the store had in stock and now I know what's been installed. After the install, the same guy hooked up Predator once again while we did 5 or 6 runs. That simple change helped alot.

This morning I was getting probably a steady 3 to 3.2 knock retard. This evening, the largest I had was a 2, and then it immediately adjusted down. Most readings were 1 and lower. I think one run was even at 0.

This morning, O2 was 930 and steady for the most part. This evening the highest was around 910, which immediately dropped to about 890-895 I think.

Timing also improved, even when I had just started the car. It wasn't jumping around like crazy like before.

That's it for now. Got a ways to go, but that one thing made a definite difference. I can't wait to get Predator on it and tune on the dyno in August. Then maybe my #'s will be up to where they need to be.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm....sounds like you are not crazy after all....glad you are "tracking it down". Good luck!
Old 06-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Went back to John's in Santa Clara this morning. He jacked up the rear end, set it on jack stands, hooked up LS1 Edit and did a quick diagnostics. Went up to just over 6,000 rpms and the entire time KR was 0.0, Misfires 0.

I can't recall the rest, but he said everything looked cool. Putting the correct plugs and heat range helped a lot for sure.